A fuzzy logic-based approach for pricing of electricity in Jordan
This paper aims to provide a feasible and practical tool for decision makers in the energy and electricity sectors, represented by EMRC, in order to calculate a reasonable selling price for electricity in Jordan. We propose an alternative approach using a fuzzy logic technique to help EMRC assign a fair and dynamic sale price for electricity, based on two categories of electricity consumption (low and high). Our experimental results, based on simulated data, show that the proposed method provides fair prices to both customer and service providers, allowing an easy and effective way to increase/decrease electricity prices.
KeywordsPricing Value-based pricing Electricity bill Fuzzy logic
- Alzubi, A. 2017. The Jordan Times. http://www.jordantimes.com. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- Brewer, P.C., A.W. Gation, and J.M. Reeve. 1993. Managing uncertainty. Management Accounting 75 (4): 39–45.Google Scholar
- Charles River Associates. 2005. Applications of dynamic pricing in developing and emerging economies. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/INTENERGY/Resources/ApplicationsofDynamicPricing.pdf. Accessed 27 May 2018.
- Dubois, D., and H.M. Prade. 1980. Fuzzy sets and systems: theory and applications. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Energy and Minerals Regulatory Commission. 2018. Energy and Minerals Regulatory Commission EMRC. http://emrc.gov.jo. Accessed 16 January 2018.
- Faruqui, A., and Lessem, N. 2012. Managing the benefits and costs of dynamic pricing in Australia. Australia: Prepared for the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC).Google Scholar
- Faruqui, A., and Palmer, J. 2012. The discovery of price responsiveness—a survey of experiments involving dynamic pricing of electricity. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2020587&download=yes.
- Kauffman, A., and M.G. Madan. 1991. Introduction to fuzzy arithmetic, theory and application. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, C.M., and A.C. Butler. 1995. Legacy costing, fuzzy systems theory, and environmentally conscious manufacturing. Advances in Management Accounting 4: 103–126.Google Scholar
- Ma’ayeh, S. 2018. The National. https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/jordan-protests-against-price-rises-signal-growing-resentment-1.702036. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- McDonald, J., and Lo, K. 1990. Dynamic price structures and consumer load reaction. In Sixth International Conference on Metering Apparatus and Tariffs for Electricity Supply, IET, Manchester, 6–10.Google Scholar
- Ribeiro, A.M. et al. 2005. Using fuzzy logic for pricing, 331–334.Google Scholar
- Von Altrock, C. 1996. Fuzzy logic and neurofuzzy application in business and finance. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall PTR.Google Scholar