A simulation approach to hotel revenue management training
- 89 Downloads
Developing well-rounded revenue management professionals is a key challenge for the hotel industry. Traditional approaches toward revenue management training have typically developed sound technical expertise without developing other important business skills. Simulations have been advocated as a solution to deliver holistic revenue management education. This paper aims to identify the learning outcomes achieved through a simulation-based revenue management training program. It reports the learning outcomes of students engaged in a hotel revenue management simulation. Thematic analysis reveals six sets of critical learning outcomes: revenue management strategy; hotel operational knowledge; decision-making ability; value of teamwork; communication skills; and personal readiness for the workforce.
KeywordsRevenue management Training Hotel management Business simulation Student learning outcomes
- Benckendorff, P., G. Lohmann, M. Pratt, P. Reynolds, P. Strickland, and P. Whitelaw. 2015. Online Business Simulations: Good Practice Guide. Sydney: Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching.Google Scholar
- Kimes, S.E. 2008. Hotel Revenue Management: Today and Tomorrow. Cornell Hospitality Report 8: 4–14.Google Scholar
- Kimes, S.E. 2017. The Future of Hotel Revenue Management. Cornell Hospitality Report 17 (1): 3–10.Google Scholar
- Kolb, D. 1984. Experiential Learning—Experience as the Source of Learning and Development. Upper Saddle River, NJ: FT Press.Google Scholar
- Krippendorff, K. 2004. Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- QSR International. 2017. NVivo Qualitative Data Analysis Software; QSR International Pty Ltd. Version 11, 2017.Google Scholar
- Red Global Group Pty Ltd. 2018. REVSIM. http://redglobalgroup.com/contact-red-global-hotel-simulations/. Accessed 6 March 2018.
- Russell Partnership Technology. 2018. HOTS—The Hotel Simulation. http://www.thetotalsimulator.com/hots—hotel-simulation. Accessed 6 March 2018.
- Wang, X.L., C.Y. Heo, Z. Schwartz, P. Leoherel, and F. Specklin. 2015. Revenue Management: Progress, Challenges and Research Prospects. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management 32 (7): 797–811.Google Scholar