A health professional’s guide to the intersection of public health with intellectual property rights in trade and investment: the case of tobacco plain packaging
Intellectual property law is a crucial determinant of global public health, capable of both endangering and facilitating advances in the health of populations. This Viewpoint explains the most important aspects of the interaction between intellectual property law and public health. We use the plain packaging of tobacco products to illustrate how public health policies may be subject to scrutiny under existing trade and investment law structures. Plain packaging of tobacco products is challenging to implement due to legal complexities and uncertainties surrounding the status of mandated plain packaging for consumer products. While the tobacco industry and its proponents once relied on the denial of scientific evidence to delay legislation and influence consumers, its tactics have shifted to the use of trade threats and investment disputes, directly challenging the sovereignty of governments to enact bona fide public health measures to improve the health of their population.
KeywordsCommercial determinants Disease prevention Health policy Intellectual property Tobacco control
- 1.WIPO Intellectual Property Handbook [Internet]. Second Edition. WIPO Publication; 2004 [cited 2018 May 28]. Available from: http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/intproperty/489/wipo_pub_489.pdf.
- 2.Annex 1C: Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights [Internet]. 1994. https://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/27-trips.pdf. Cited 26 Mar 2018.
- 3.Miles T. Australia wins landmark WTO ruling on plain tobacco packaging. Reuters [Internet]. https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-wto-tobacco-ruling/australia-wins-landmark-wto-ruling-on-plain-tobacco-packaging-idUKKBN1JO2BF. Cited 28 Jun 2018.
- 4.Castaldi M, Esposito A. Philip Morris loses tough-on-tobacco lawsuit in Uruguay. Reuters [Internet]. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pmi-uruguay-lawsuit/phillip-morris-loses-tough-on-tobacco-lawsuit-in-uruguay-idUSKCN0ZO2LZ. Cited 9 July 2016.
- 5.McCrystal L. Pa. Supreme Court to hear soda tax case. The Philadelphia Inquirer [Internet]. https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/soda-tax-supreme-court-philadelphia-appeal-20180130.html. Cited 30 Jan 2018.
- 6.Tobacco Free Kids. Plain or Standardized Tobacco Packaging: International Developments [Internet]. 2017. https://www.global.tobaccofreekids.org/assets/global/pdfs/en/standardized_packaging_developments_en.pdf. Cited 17 Mar 2018.
- 7.A hard sell in a dark market [Internet]. The Sydney Morning Herald. 2010 [cited 2018 Mar 19]. Available from: https://www.smh.com.au/national/a-hard-sell-in-a-dark-market-20100423-tj3n.html.
- 8.Palmer A. The product. In: Principles of marketing [Internet]. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2000. p. 215–38. https://global.oup.com/ukhe/disciplines/business-and-management/marketing/principles-of-marketing/?cc=gb&lang=en&. Cited 15 Mar 2018.
- 10.The Text of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade [Internet]. World Trade Organization. 1986. https://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/gatt47.pdf. Cited 14 Mar 2018.
- 11.Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade [Internet]. World Trade Organization. 1995. https://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/17-tbt.pdf. Cited 14 Mar 2018.
- 12.Voon T, Mitchell A. Implications of WTO Law for Plain Packaging of Tobacco ProductsUniversity of Melbourne Legal Studies Research Paper No. 554 [Internet]. 2011. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228192692_Implications_of_WTO_Law_for_Plain_Packaging_of_Tobacco_Products. Cited 26 Mar 2018.
- 13.World Health Organization Tobacco Free Initiative. Confronting the Tobacco Epidemic in a New Era of Trade and Investment Liberalization [Internet]. 2012. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/70918/1/9789241503723_eng.pdf. Cited 28 Feb 2018.
- 14.Chipty T. Study of the impact of the tobacco plain packaging measure on smoking prevalence in Australia [Internet]. 2016. http://health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/491CE0444F7B0A76CA257FBE00195BF3/$File/PIRofTobaccoPlainPackaging-withAddendum.pdf.
- 15.House of Representatives Standing Committee on Health and Ageing, Tobacco Plain Packaging Bill 2011, Trademarks Amendment, Hansard, Canberra, 4 August 2011. Accessed May 2014.Google Scholar
- 17.Davison M. The legitimacy of plain packaging under international intellectual property Law: why there is no right to use a trademark under either the Paris Convention or the Trips Agreement. SSRN [Internet]. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2009115. Accessed 21 Feb 2012, cited 28 Feb 2018.
- 18.Klick J, Parchomovsky G. The value of the right to exclude: an empirical assessment. Univ Pennsylvania Law Sch Penn Law Leg Scholarsh Repos. 2017;165(917):917–66.Google Scholar
- 19.UNCTAD Series on issues in international investment agreements. http://unctad.org/en/docs/iteiit30_en.pdf. Cited 28 Feb 2018.
- 20.Taglioli D. Australia High Court upholds tobacco plain-package law. Jurist [Internet]. https://www.jurist.org/news/2012/10/australia-high-court-upholds-tobacco-plain-package-law/. Accessed 5 Oct 2012.
- 21.Fooks G, Gilmore AB. International trade law, plain packaging and tobacco industry political activity: the Trans-Pacific Partnership. Tob Control [Internet]. http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/tobaccocontrol/23/1/e1.full.pdf. Cited 26 Feb 2018.
- 22.IBA issues fact-correcting statement on ISDS [Internet]. International Bar Association. 2015. https://www.ibanet.org/Article/NewDetail.aspx?ArticleUid=1dff6284-e074-40ea-bf0c-f19949340b2f. Cited 17 Apr 2018.
- 23.Knaus C. Philip Morris cigarettes charged millions after losing plain packaging case against Australia | Business | The Guardian. The Guardian [Internet]. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/10/philip-morris-cigarettes-charged-millions-after-losing-plain-packaging-case-against-australia. Accessed 10 Jul 2017, Cited 17 Apr 2018.