20 Years of brand personality: a bibliometric review and research agenda
- 457 Downloads
This article aims to deconstruct 20 years of research on brand personality by systematically reviewing the extant literature and identifying relevant research gaps. The current status of brand personality research is analyzed by applying bibliometric co-citation meta-analysis. This interdisciplinary review includes 220 articles in 62 journals from the ISI Web of Science. A total of 8108 citations were used to discuss key contributions, underlying research streams, journal outlets and to point out future directions of the field. Based on the citation map, five research clusters within brand personality literature were identified: Measurement of Brand Personality; Direct and Indirect Effects of Brand Personality; Dynamics of Brand Personality Dimensions; Brand Personality in Brand Extensions; and Application of Brand Personality to Related Areas. Furthermore, a set of research questions is proposed to be considered for future research. Thus, the study provides a relevant interdisciplinary platform on brand personality research for academics and practitioners and stimulates the development of further knowledge on this topic.
KeywordsBrand personality Literature review Bibliometric analysis Co-citation meta-analysis Consumer–brand relationship Brand personalities
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- Aaker, D.A. 1996. Building strong brands. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- Aaker, J., and S. Fournier. 1995. Brand as a character, a partner and a person: Three perspectives on the question of brand personality. Advances in Consumer Research 22: 391–395.Google Scholar
- Ahmad, A., and K. Thyagaraj. 2014. Brand personality and brand equity research: Past developments and future directions. IUP Journal of Brand Management 11(3): 19–56.Google Scholar
- Association of Business Schools. (2015). ABS academic journal guide 2015, London. https://steffenroth.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/abs-2015-steffen-roth-ch.pdf. Accessed June 2016.
- Blackston, M. 1993. Beyond brand personality: Building brand relationships. In Brand equity and advertising: Advertising’s role in building strong brands, ed. D.A. Aaker, and A.L. Biel, 113–124. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates.Google Scholar
- John, O.P., and S. Srivastava. 1999. The big-five trait taxonomy: history, measurement, and theoretical perspectives. In Handbook of personality: Theory and research, ed. L.A. Pervin and O.P. John, Vol. 2, 102–138. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Levy, S.J. 1959. Symbols for sale. Harvard Business Review 37(4): 117–124.Google Scholar
- Plummer, J. T. (1985). Brand personality: A strategic concept for multinational advertising. Paper presented at the Marketing Educator’s Conference, New York.Google Scholar
- Sung, Y., and S.M. Choi. 2010. The influence of self-construal on self-brand congruity in the United States and Korea. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 20(10): 1–16.Google Scholar