Are Pornography and Marriage Substitutes for Young Men?
Substitutes for marital sexual gratification may impact the decision to marry. Proliferation of the Internet has made pornography an increasingly low-cost substitute. We investigate the effect of Internet usage, and of pornography consumption specifically, on the marital status of young men. We show that increased Internet usage is negatively associated with marriage formation. Pornography consumption specifically has an even stronger effect. Instrumental variables and a number of robustness checks suggest that the effect is causal.
Keywordspornography divorce marital formation
JEL ClassificationsJ12 O33
- BBC. 2013. Online pornography to be blocked by default, PM announces July 22, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-23401076 (accessed March 10, 2015).
- Forbes. 2011. How much of the Internet is actually for porn?, http://www.forbes.com/sites/julieruvolo/2011/09/07/how-much-of-the-internet-is-actually-for-porn/ (accessed March 10, 2015).
- Friedman, David D. 2000. Law’s Order: What Economics Has to Do with Law and Why It Matters. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Greene, William H. 2008. Econometric Analysis. Upper Saddle River: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Kendall, Todd D. 2007. Pornography, Rape and the Internet, http://www.idei.fr/doc/conf/sic/papers_2007/kendall.pdf (accessed March 10, 2015).
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). National Vital Statistics Reports, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/mardiv.htm (accessed March 10, 2015).
- National Opinion Research Center (NORC). General Social Survey, http://www3.norc.org/GSS+Website/ (accessed March 10, 2015).
- Solon, Gary . 1992. Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States. The American Economic Review, 82 (3): 393–408.Google Scholar
- Thorbek, Susanne, and Bandana Pattanaik eds. 2002. Transnational Prostitution: Changing Global Patterns. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. Statistical Abstract of the United States, https://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/ (accessed March 10, 2015).
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2003. Married-Couple and Unmarried-Partner Households: 2000, http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-5.pdf (accessed March 10, 2015).
- Weiss, D.J., W. Edward, and J.W. Weiss . 2009. Why is a Bird in the Hand Worth Two in the Bush?, in A Science of Decision Making: The Legacy of Ward Edwards, edited by J. W. Weiss and D. J. Weiss. New York: Oxford University Press, 476–484.Google Scholar