The Inverse Spectral Problem for the Sturm-Liouville Operators with Discontinuous Coefficients
- 20 Downloads
We study the inverse spectral problem for the Sturm–Liouville operator whose piecewise constant coefficient A(x) has discontinuity points x k , k=1,...,n, and jumps A k =A(x k +0)/A(x k -0). We show that if the discontinuity points x1,...,x n are noncommensurable, i.e., none of their linear combinations with integer coefficients vanishes; then the spectral function of the operator determines all discontinuity points x k and jumps A k uniquely. We give an algorithm for finding x k and A k in finitely many steps.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Na?mark M. A., Linear Differential Operators [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.Levitan B. M., Inverse Sturm-Liouville Problems [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.Levitan B. M. and Sargsyan I. S., An Introduction to Spectral Theory. Selfadjoint Ordinary Differential Operators [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 4.Marchenko V. A., The Spectral Theory of Sturm-Liouville Operators [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1972).Google Scholar
- 5.Shepel'sky D. G., “The inverse problem of the medium's conductivity in a class of discontinuous increasing functions,” Adv. Soviet Math., 1994, V. 19. Spectral Operator Theory and Related Topics, pp. 209–230.Google Scholar