We model a black hole spacetime as a causal set and count, with a certain definition, the number of causal links crossing the horizon in proximity to a spacelike or null hypersurface Σ. We find that this number is proportional to the horizon's area on Σ, thus supporting the interpretation of the links as the “horizon atoms” that account for its entropy. The cases studied include not only equilibrium black holes but ones far from equilibrium.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. D. Bekenstein, in The Seventh Marcel Grossmann Meeting on Recent Developments in Theoretical and Experimental General Relativity, Gravitation and Relativistic Field Theories, Proceedings of the MG7 meeting, held Stanford, July 24–30, 1994, R. T. Jantzen, G. Mac Keiser, and R. Ruffini, eds. (World Scientific, 1996) gr-qc/9409015.Google Scholar
- 2.L. Bombelli, J. Lee, D. Meyer, and R. D. Sorkin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 59, 521–524 (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.L. Bombelli, J. Math. Phys. 41, 6944–6958 (2000) gr-qc/0002053.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Brightwell and R. Gregory, Phys. Rev. Lett. 66, 260–263 (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.Djamel Dou, Causal Sets, a Possible Interpretation for the Black Hole Entropy, and Related Topics, Ph.D. thesis (SISSA, Trieste, 1999), gr-qc/0106024.Google Scholar
- 6.Rafael D. Sorkin and Daniel Sudarsky, Class. Quant. Grav. 16, 3835–3857 (1999), gr-qc/9902051.Google Scholar
- 7.R. D. Sorkin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 56, 1885–1888 (1986)Google Scholar
- 8.R. D. Sorkin, in Proceedings of the First Australasian Conference on General Relativity and Gravitation, February 1996, Adelaide, Australia, David Wiltshire, ed. (University of Adelaide, 1996), pp. 163–174, gr-qc/9701056.Google Scholar
- 9.R. D. Sorkin, in Quantum Classical Correspondence: Proceedings of the 4th Drexel Symposium on Quantum Nonintegrability, Philadelphia, September 8–11, 1994, D. H. Feng and B-L Hu, eds. (International Press, Cambridge, MA, 1997), pp. 229–251, gr-qc/9507057.Google Scholar
- 10.Thomas M. Fiola, John Preskill, Andrew Strominger, and Sandip P. Trivedi, Phys. Rev. D 50, 3987–4014 (1994), hep-th/9403137.Google Scholar