Immunohistochemical Analysis of Insulin-like Growth Factor–Binding Proteins -1, -2, and -3 in Implantation Sites of the Mouse
- 29 Downloads
Purpose: Our purpose was to analyze potential interactions between the embryo and the maternal endometrial interface in vivo by analyzing immunolocalization of insulin-like growth factor–binding proteins (IGFBPs) -1, -2, and -3 in implantation sites of the mouse.
Methods: Six-week-old B 6 D 2 F 1 female mice underwent superovulation followed by mating and sacrifice at timed intervals. Formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue was used for avidin–biotin immunocytochemical localization of IGFBPs utilizing standard methodology.
Results: Immunostaining at 1.5 days post coitum revealed light staining in the epithelial glandular cells and faint staining in decidual stroma for both IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-2. At 7.5–10.5 days post coitum, there was moderate–dense immunostaining in the decidualized stromal cells at the implantation site for all three IGFBPs, whereas light immunostaining was seen in nonimplantation site decidua.
Conclusions: Compartmentalization of immunostaining for IGFBP-1, -2, and -3 within decidualized stroma suggests that these proteins may be regulated by trophoblastic and/or embryonic signals.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rosenfield RG, Lamson G, Pham H, Oh YM, Conover C, DeLeon D, Donovan SM, Ocrant I, Giudice LC: Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. Rec Progr Horm Res 1991;16:99–159Google Scholar
- 2.Kelley KM, Oh Y, Gargosky SE, Gucev A, Matsumoto T, Hwa V, Ng L, Simpson DM, Rosenfeld RG: Insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins (IGFBPs) and their regulatory dynamics. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 1996;28:619–637Google Scholar
- 3.Le Roith D: Insulin-like growth factor receptors and binding proteins. Bailliere's Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;10:49–73Google Scholar
- 4.Bell SC, Jackson JA, Ashmore J, Zhu HH, Tseng L: Regulation of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1 synthesis and secretion by progestin and relaxin in long term cultures of human endometrial stromal cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1991;72:1014–1024Google Scholar
- 5.Giudice LC, Milkowski DA, Fielder PJ, Irwin JC: Characterization of the steroid-dependence of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-2 synthesis and mRNA expression in cultured human endometrial stromal cells. Hum Reprod 1991;6:632–640Google Scholar
- 6.Tseng L, Gao J-G, Chen R, Zhu HH, Mazella J, Powell DR: Effect of progestin, antiprogestin, and relaxin on the accumulation of prolactin and insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1 messenger ribonucleic acid in human endometrial stromal cells. Biol Reprod 1992;47:441–450Google Scholar
- 7.Giudice LC, Dsupin BA, Irwin JC: Steroid and peptide regulation of insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins secreted by human endometrial stromal cells is dependent on stromal differentiation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1992;75:1235–1241Google Scholar
- 8.Liu H-C, He Z-Y, Mele C, Damario M, Davis O, Rosenwaks Z: Hormonal regulation of expression of messenger RNA encoding insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in human endometrial stromal cells cultured in vitro. Mol Hum Reprod 1997;3:21–26Google Scholar
- 9.Liu H-C, Mele C, Catz D, Noyes N, Rosenwaks Z: Production of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins (IGFBPs) by human endometrial stromal cells is stimulated by the presence of embryos. J Assist Reprod Genet 1995;12:78–87Google Scholar
- 10.Kapur S, Tamada H, Dey SK, Andrews GK: Expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) and its receptor in peri-implantation mouse uterus, and cell-specific regulation of IGF-1 gene expression by estradiol and progesterone. Biol Reprod 1992;46:208–219Google Scholar
- 11.Rappolee DA, Sturm KS, Behrendtsen O, Schultz GA, Pedersen RA, Werb Z: Insulin-like growth factor II acts through an endogenous growth pathway regulated by imprinting in early mouse embryos. Genes Dev 1992;6:939–952Google Scholar
- 12.Heyner S, Shah N, Smith RM, Watson AJ, Schultz GA: The role of growth factors in embryo production. Theriogenology 1993;39:151–161Google Scholar
- 13.Harvey MB, Kaye PL: Insulin-like growth factor-I stimulates growth of mouse preimplantation embryos in vitro. Mol Reprod Dev 1992;31:195–199Google Scholar
- 14.DeChiara TM, Efstratiadis A, Robertson EJ: A growth-deficiency phenotype in heterozygous mice carrying an insulin-like growth factor II gene disrupted by targeting. Nature 1990;345:78–80Google Scholar
- 15.Kanai-Azuma M, Kanai Y, Kurohmaru M, Sakai S, Hayashi Y: Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I stimulates proliferation and migration of mouse ectoplacental cone cells, while IGF-II transforms them into trophoblastic giant cells in vitro. Biol Reprod 1993;48:252–261Google Scholar
- 16.Han VKM, Bassett N, Walton J, Challis JRG: The expression of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and IGF-binding protein (IGFBP) genes in the human placenta and membranes: Evidence for IGF-IGFBP interactions at the feto-maternal interface. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;81:2680–2693Google Scholar
- 17.Hahnel A, Schultz GA: Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins are transcribed by preimplantation mouse embryos. Endocrinology 1994;134:1956–1959Google Scholar
- 18.Markoff E, Henemyre C, Fellows J, Pennington E, Zeitler PS, Cedars MI: Localization of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 expression in the mouse uterus during the peri-implantation period. Biol Reprod 1995;53:1103–1109Google Scholar
- 19.Sadek S, Unterman TG, Bell SC: Epithelial localization of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 1 in the uterus of the rat during pregnancy, deciduoma-bearing pseudopregnancy and hormone treatment. J Reprod Fertil 1994;101:67–75Google Scholar
- 20.Croze L, Kennedy TG, Schroedter IC, Friesen HG, Murphy LJ: Expression of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 in the rat uterus during decidualization. Endocrinology 1996;71:1995–2000Google Scholar
- 21.Boomsma RA, Mavrogianis PA, Fazleabas AT, Jaffe RC, Verhage HG: Detection of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 in cat implantation sites. Biol Reprod 1994;51:392–399Google Scholar
- 22.Tarantino S, Verhage HG, Fazleabas AT: Regulation of insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins in the baboon (Papio anubis) uterus during early pregnancy. Endocrinology 1992;130:2354–2362Google Scholar
- 23.Irwin JC, Dsupin BA, Giudice LC: Modulation of cytotrophoblast interaction with fibronectin and endometrial stromal cell cultures by insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 (IGFBP-1). Presented at the Society for the Study of Reproduction, Sacramento, CA, July 1995Google Scholar
- 24.Irving JA, Lala PK: Functional role of cell surface integrins on human trophoblast cell migration: regulation by TGF-β, IGF-II, and IGFBP-1. Exp Cell Res 1995;217:419–429Google Scholar
- 25.Lee PDK, Conover CA, Powell DR: Regulation and function of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1993;204:4–29Google Scholar
- 26.Sara VR, Hall K: Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins. Physiol Rev 1990;70:591–614Google Scholar
- 27.Blum WF, Jenne EW, Reppin T, Kietzmann K, Ranke MB, Bierich JR: Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I)-binding protein complex is a better mitogen than free IGF-I. Endocrinology 1989;125:766–772Google Scholar
- 28.Conover CA: Potentiation of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) action by IGF-binding protein-3: Studies of underlying mechanism. Endocrinology 1992;130:3191–3199Google Scholar
- 29.Koistinen R, Angervo M, Leinonen P, Seppala M: Phosphorylation of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-1 from different sources. Growth Reg 1993;3:34–37Google Scholar
- 30.Jones JI, D-Ercole AJ, Camacho-Hubner C, Clemmons DR: Phosphorylation of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein 1 in cell culture and in vivo: Effects on affinity for IGF-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1991;88:7481–7485Google Scholar