Semiochemicals of the Scarabaeinae. VII: Identification and Synthesis of EAD-Active Constituents of Abdominal Sex Attracting Secretion of the Male Dung Beetle, Kheper subaeneus
- 217 Downloads
Using gas chromatography with flame ionization detection (FID) and electroantennographic detection (EAD) in parallel, butanoic acid, skatole, and (E)-2,6-dimethyl-6-octen-2-ol were identified as constituents of the abdominal sex-attracting secretion of the male dung beetle, Kheper subaeneus, which reproducibly elicited EAD responses in male and female antennae. This is the first report of the occurrence of (E)-2,6-dimethyl-6-octen-2-ol as a natural product, for which the name (E)-subaeneol is proposed. In some experiments, a few other constituents of the secretion also gave reproducible responses in specific male and female antennae but did not elicit responses when the analyses were repeated with other antennae. The major volatile constituent of the secretion, identified as (S)-(+)-2,6-dimethyl-5-heptenoic acid, is one of these EAD-active compounds. Both this compound and (E)-2,6-dimethyl-6-octen-2-ol were synthesized from authentic starting materials for comparison with the natural products.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burger, B. V. and Petersen, W. G. B. 1991. Semiochemicals of the Scarabaeinae III: Identification of the attractant for the dung beetle Pachylomerus femoralis in the fruit of the spineless monkey orange tree, Strychnos madagascariensis. Z. Naturforsch. 46c:1073–1079.Google Scholar
- Burger, B. V. and Petersen, W. G. B. 2002. Semiochemicals of the Scarabaeinae: VI. Identification of EAD-active constituents of abdominal secretion of male dung beetle, Kheper nigroaeneus. J. Chem. Ecol. 28:485–497.Google Scholar
- Burger, B. V., Munro, Z., RÖth, M., Spies, H. S. C., Truter, V., Tribe, G. D., and Crewe, R. M. 1983. Composition of the heterogeneous sex attracting secretion of the dung beetle, Kheper lamarcki. Z. Naturforsch. 38c:848–855.Google Scholar
- Burger, B. V., Munro, Z., and Brandt, W. F. 1990. Pheromones of the Scarabaeinae II. Composition of the pheromone disseminating carrier material secreted by male dung beetles of the genus Kheper. Z. Naturforsch. 45c:863- 872.Google Scholar
- Burger, B. V., Petersen, W. J. G., and Tribe, G. D. 1995. Pheromones of the Scarabaeinae IV. Identification of an attractant for the dung beetle Pachylomerus femoralis in the abdominal secretion of the dung beetle Kheper lamarcki. Z. Naturforsch. 50c:675–680.Google Scholar
- Van der Pers, J. N. C. 1980. Olfactory Receptors in Small Ermine Moths (Lepidoptera: Yponomeutidae): Electrophysiology and Morphology. PhD thesis. University of Groningen, p. 39.Google Scholar