Effect of In Vivo GnRH Agonist and GnRH Antagonist on hCG and Insulin-Stimulated Progesterone Production by Human Granulosa-Lutein Cells In Vitro
Purpose: To investigate hCG and insulin-stimulated progesterone (P) production by human granulosa-lutein cells (hGLC) in vitro.
Methods: hGLCs were isolated from patients undergoing IVF-ET cycles in which GnRH agonist or GnRH antagonist was used to prevent a midcycle gonadotropin surge. The cells were cultured for 3 days, and then treated with hCG 0.5, 1, and 10 IU/I, and insulin 0.01, 0.1, and 1 μM in serum free conditions. In vitro P production was measured by enzyme immunoassay.
Results: hCG stimulated P production by hGLCs from cycles in which GnRH antagonist was used, but a blunted response was seen in GnRH-agonist treated cycles. Insulin-stimulated P production was similar in cells from cycles in which GnRH-agonist or GnRH-antagonist treatment was used.
Conclusions: Because insulin and hCG may share common pathways beyond the level of receptor activation, we hypothesize that GnRH agonist, but not GnRH antagonist, may affect the expression and/or activation of LH receptors in the hGLCs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hughes EG, Fedorkow DM, Daya S, Sagle MA, van de Koppel P, Collins JA: The routine use of gonadotropinreleasing hormone agonists prior to in vitro fertilization and gamete intrafallopian transfer: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Fertil Steril 1992;58:888-896Google Scholar
- 2.Diedrich K, Diedrich C, Santos E, Bauer O, Zoll C, AI-Hasani S, Reissman T, Krebs D, Klingmuller D: Suppression of the endogenous luteinizing hormone surge by the gonadotrophinreleasing hormone antagonist cetrorelix during ovarian stimulation. Hum Reprod 1994;9:788-791Google Scholar
- 3.Minaretzis D, Alper MM, Oskowitz SP, Lobel SM, Mortola JF, Pavlonz SN: Gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist versus agonist administration in women undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation: Cycle performance and in vitro steroidogenesis of granulosa lutein cells. AmJ Obstet Gynecol 1995;172:1518-1525Google Scholar
- 4.Felberbaum RE, Reissmann T, KuÈ pker W, Bauer O, AI-Hasani S, Diedrich C, Diedrich K: Preserved pituitary response under ovarian stimulation with HMG and GnRH antagonists (Cetrorelix) in women with tubal infertility. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 1995;61:151-155Google Scholar
- 5.Felberbaum R, Reissmann T, KuÈ pker W, AI-Hasani S, Bauer O, Schill T, Zoll C, Diedrich C, Diedrich K: Hormone profiles under ovarian stimulation with human menopausal gonadotropin (hMG) and concomitant administration of the gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH)-antagonist cetrorelix at different dosages. J Assist Reprod Genet 1996;13:216-222Google Scholar
- 6.Albano C, Smitz J, Camus M, RiethmuÈ ller-Winzen H, van Steirteghem A, Devroey P: Comparison of different doses of gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist cetrorelix during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation. Fertil Steril 1997;67: 917-922Google Scholar
- 7.Peng C, Fan NC, Ligier M, Vaananen J, Leung PC: Expression and regulation of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) and GnRH receptor messenger ribonucleic acids in human granulosa-luteal cells. Endocrinology 1994;135:1740-1746Google Scholar
- 8.Minaretzis D, Jakubowski M, Mortola JF, Pavlon SN: Gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor gene expression in human ovary and granulosa lutein cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1995;80:430-434Google Scholar
- 9.Tureck RW, Mastroianni L Jr, Blasco L, Strauss JF III: Inhibition of human granulosa cell progesterone secretion by a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1982;54:1078-1080Google Scholar
- 10.Casper RF, Erickson GF, Rebar RW, Yen SS: The effect of luteinizing hormone-releasing factor and its agonist on cultured human granulosa cells. Fertil Steril 1982;37:406-409Google Scholar
- 11.Casper RF, Erickson GF, Yen SS: Studies on the effect of gonadotropin-releasing hormone and its agonist on human luteal steroidogenesis in vitro. Fertil Steril 1984;42: 39-43Google Scholar
- 12.Parinaud J, Beaur A, Bourreau E, Vicitez G, Pontonnier G: Effect of a luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone agonist (buserelin) on steroidogenesis of cultured human preovulatory granulosa cells. Fertil Steril 1988;50:597-602Google Scholar
- 13.Bussenot I, Azoulay Barjonet C, Parinaud J: Modulation of the steroidogenesis of cultured human granulosa lutein cells by gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1993;76:1376-1379Google Scholar
- 14.Weiss JM, Oltmanns K, GuÈ rke EM, Polack S, Eick F, Felberbaum R, Diedrich K, Ortmann O: Actions of gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonists on steroidogenesis in human granulosa lutein cells. Eur J Endocrinol 2001;144:677-685Google Scholar
- 15.Pellicer A, Miro F: Steroidogenesis in vitro of human granulosa-luteal cells pretreated in vivo with gonadotropinreleasing hormone analogs. Fertil Steril 1990;54:590-596Google Scholar
- 16.Lin Y, Kahn JA, Hillensjö T: Is there a difference in the function of granulosa-luteal cells in patients undergoing in-vitro fertilization either with gonadotrophin-releasing hormone agonist or gonadotrophin-releasing hormone antagonist? Hum Reprod 1999;14:885-888Google Scholar
- 17.Frederick JL, Hickey MJ, Francis MM, Sauer MV, Paulson RJ: The effect of leuprolide acetate on steroidogenesis by granulose and theca cells in vitro. J In Vitro Fertil Embryo Transf 1991;8:230-234Google Scholar
- 18.Fabbri R, Porcu E, Pession E, Sereni E, Marsella T, Seracchioli R, Flamigni C: The effect of leuprorelin on steroidogenesis of human preovulatory granulosa cells in vitro. J Assist Reprod Genet 1996;13:287-292Google Scholar
- 19.Olsson JH, Akesson I, Hillensio T: Effects of a gonadotropinreleasing hormone agonist on progesterone formation in cultured human granulosa cells. Acta Endocrinologica 1990;122:427-431Google Scholar
- 20.Guerrero HE, Stein P, Asch RH, de Fried EP, Tesone M: Effect of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist on luteinizing hormone receptors and steroidogenesis in ovarian cells. Fertil Steril 1993;59:803-808Google Scholar
- 21.Gaetje R: Influence of gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) and a GnRH-agonist on granulosa cell steroidogensis. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 1994;21:164-169Google Scholar
- 22.Uemura T, Namiki T, Kimura A, Yanagisawa T, Minaguchi H: Direct effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone on the ovary in rats and humans. Horm Res 1994;41:7-13Google Scholar
- 23.Pellicer A, Tarin JJ, Miro F, Sampaio M, Delos Santos MJ, Remohi J: The use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues (GnRHa), in in vitro fertilization: Some clinical and experimental investigations of a direct effect on the human ovary. Hum Reprod 1992;7:39-47Google Scholar
- 24.Hamori M, Torok A, Zwirner M, Batteux C, Schinkmann W, Bodis J: In vitro progesterone production of human granulose luteal cells: The impact of different stimulation protocols, poor response and polycystic ovarian syndrome. Hum Reprod 1992;7:592-596Google Scholar
- 25.Dirnfeld M, Goldman S, Gonen Y, Koifman M, Lissak A, Kraiem Z, Abramovici H: Functional differentiation in progesterone secretion by granulosa versus cumulus cells in the human preovulatory follicle and the effect of different induction of ovulation protocols. Fertil Steril 1993;60:1025-1030Google Scholar
- 26.Brus L, Lambalk CB, de Koning J, Helder MN, Janssens RM, Schoemaker J: Specific gonadotrophin-releasing hormone analogue binding predominantly in human luteinized follicular aspirates and not in human preovulatory follicles. HumReprod 1997;12:769-773Google Scholar
- 27.Lin LS, Roberts VJ, Yen SS: Expression of human gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptor gene in the placenta and its functional relationship to human chorionic gonadotropin secretion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1995;80: 580-585Google Scholar
- 28.Spona J, Coy DH, Zatlasch E, Wakolbinger C: LH-RH antagonist inhibits gonadal steroid secretion in vitro. Peptides 1985;6:379-382Google Scholar
- 29.Ragni G, Vegetti W, Baroni E, Colombo M, Arnoldi M, Lombroso G, Crosignani PG: Comparison of luteal phase profile in gonadotrophin stimulated cycles with or without a gonadotrophin-releasing hormone antagonist. Hum Reprod 2001;16:2258-2262Google Scholar
- 30.Garcia-Velasco JA, Isaza V, Vidal C, Landazábal A, Remohí J, Simon C, Pellicer A: Human ovarian steroid secretion in vivo: Effects of GnRH agonist versus antagonist (cetrorelix). Hum Reprod 2001;16:2533-2539Google Scholar