Co-expression of bcl-2 and bag-1, apoptosis suppressing genes, prolonged viable culture period of hybridoma and enhanced antibody production
- 79 Downloads
Human bcl-2 and bag-1 DNA were introduced into mouse hybridoma 2E3- O cells and expressed. The expression of bcl-2 in BCMGneo-bcl2 transfectants was confirmed by ELISA and that of bag-1 in pZeo-bag1 was confirmed by western blotting. In batch cultures, the over-expression of bcl-2 prolonged the culture period by 2 days and co-expression of bcl-2 and bag-1 prolonged the culture period by 3 days. The delayed increase in the dead cell number in culture of the bcl-2 and bag-1 cotransfectant indicated the additional antiapoptosis effect of bcl-2 and bag-1 cotransfection in comparison with the bcl-2 only transfection. The bcl-2 transfectants (2E3O-Bcl2) produced antibody twofold per batch culture in comparison with 2E3-O cells transfected with BCMGSneo (2E3O-Mock). Enhancement of this MoAb production was due to the improved survival of the cells and was not due to stimulation of antibody production rate per cell by Bcl-2 expression. And the bcl-2 and bag-1 co-transfectant (2E3O-Bcl2-BAG1) produced antibody approximately fourfold of 2E3O-Mock per batch culture. Enhancement of this MoAb production was due to the improved survival of the cells and was partly due to stimulation of MoAb production rate per cell in the non-growing phase by the cotransfection. The method to engineer hybridoma cells genetically with bcl-2 and bag-1 for increasing viability and productivity would be widely applied for improving antibody productivity of hybridoma cultures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duke RC and Cohen JJ (1992) Morphological and biochemical assays of apoptosis, In: K Janssen (ed) Current protocols in immunology (pp. 3.17.1–3.17.16). Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Pettersson M, Jernberg-Wiklund H, Larsson, LG, Sundstrom C, Givol I, Tsujimoto Y and Nilsson K (1992) Expression of the bcl-2 gene in human miltiple myeloma cell lines and normal plasma cells. Blood 79: 495–502.Google Scholar
- Terada S, Itoh Y and Suzuki E (1998) Establishing an apoptosis-resistant hybridoma cell line for usage in serum starvation culture. Kagaku Kogaku Ronbunshu 24: 161–164.Google Scholar
- Tomei LD (1991) Apoptosis: a program for death or survival? In: LD Tomei and FO Cope (eds) Apoptosis: the molecular basis of cell death (pp. 279–316). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring, NY.Google Scholar
- Tsujimoto Y (1989) Stress-resistance conferred by high level of bcl-2a protein in human B lymphoblastoid cell. Oncogene 4: 1331–1336.Google Scholar