Advertisement

Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems

, Volume 70, Issue 2, pp 143–146 | Cite as

Determination of the nitrogen compound balance between the atmosphere and a Norway spruce forest ecosystem

  • László Horváth
Article

Abstract

Wet, throughfall and stemflow deposition measurements of nitrogen compounds (NH4+- and NO3-ions) were carried out in a Norway spruce forest in Hungary, together with direct dry deposition and emission estimates (NH3, NO, NO2, HNO3, N2O gases, NH4+ and NO3 particles). The total deposition of nitrogen compounds from the atmosphere to the forest ecosystem, estimated as the sum of the wet deposition and the measured dry flux, was 1.9 g N m–2 yr–1 for the examined period (1996–1998). The net deposition (difference of the deposition and the emission) was 1.8 g N m–2 yr–1. About 61% of the deposition is due to dry deposition processes. Ammonia gas dominates in the dry deposition (48%). Soil emission of nitric oxide (NO) and nitrous oxide (N2O) constitutes only 5% of the total (wet and dry) deposition. From the comparison of directly measured dry deposition figures and the dry deposition calculated as the difference of the throughfall plus stemflow and wet deposition, it is probable that around 60% of the dry deposited nitrogen compounds (36% of the total, dry and wet deposition) are taken up by stomata, mostly in gaseous form. The remaining part (64%) of the deposited nitrogen compounds is leached to the ground where it is partly taken up by the root system, takes part in the soil mineralisation processes, or leaves the ecosystem by ground or surface water run-off.

Dry deposition Nitrogen balance Nitrogen deposition Nutrient loading Throughfall deposition Wet deposition 

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. Christensen S., Ambus P., Arah R.M., Clayton H., Galle B., Griffith D.W.T et al. 1996. Nitrous oxide emission from an agricultural field: comparison between measurements by flux chamber and micrometeorological techniques. Atmos. Envir. 30: 4183–4190.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. EMEP 1996. EMEP cooperative programme for monitoring and evaluation of the long-range transmission of air pollutants in Europe. EMEP Manual for sampling and chemical analysis. EMEP/CCC-Report 1/95, NILU, Kjeller, Norway.Google Scholar
  3. Ferm M. and Hultberg H. 1999. Dry deposition and internal circulation of nitrogen, sulphur and base cations into a coniferous forest. Atmos. Envir. 33: 4421–4430.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. Horváth L. 2003. Dry deposition velocity of PM2.5 ammonium sulfate particles to a Norway spruce forest on the basis of S and N-balance estimations. Atmos. Environ. 37: 4419–4424.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. Horváth L., Weidinger T., Nagy Z. and Führer E. 1997. Measurement of dry deposition velocity of ozone, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides above pine forest and low vegetation in different seasons by the gradient method. In: Borrell P.M., Borrell P., Cvitas T., Kelly K. and Seiler W. (eds), Proceedings of EUROTRAC Symposium '96 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany 25–29 March 1996, Computational Mechanics Publications, Southampton, UK, pp. 315–318.Google Scholar
  6. Horvath L., Nagy Z. and Weidinger T. 1998. Determination of the dry flux of ozone and sulfur dioxide during the TRACT campaign. Atmos. Environ. 32: 1317–1322.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. Horváth L., Mészáros R., Pinto J.P. and Weidinger T. 2001. Estimate of the dry deposition of atmospheric nitrogen and sulfur species to spruce forest. In: Midgley P.M., Reuther M. and Williams M. (eds), Proceedings of EUROTRAC Symposium 2000 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany 27–31 March 2000. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany.Google Scholar
  8. Weidinger T., Pinto J. and Horvath L. 2000. Effects of uncertainties in universal functions, roughness length, and displacement height on the calculation of surface layer fluxes. Meteorologische Zeitschrift 9: 139–154.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  9. Wyers G.P., Otjes R.P. and Erisman J.W. 1993. Dry deposition of ammonia onto a coniferous forest. In: Slanina S., Angeletti G. and Beilke S. (eds), Air Pollution Research Report 47. CEC, Brussels, Belgium, pp. 139–145.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004

Authors and Affiliations

  • László Horváth
    • 1
  1. 1.Hungarian Meteorological ServiceBudapestHungary

Personalised recommendations