Estimation of thermal expansion behaviour of some refractory carbides and nitrides
- 91 Downloads
Lattice parameters of some refractory carbides and nitrides were estimated up to 2400 K using an empirical approach. The computed lattice parameters are in very close agreement (±0.5%) with the values calculated from experimental thermal expansion data reported in the literature. This empirical approach with modifications may be applicable to the prediction of the thermal expansion behaviour of other classes of high temperature materials.
KeywordsNitrides Thermal Expansion Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Thermal Expan Defense Advance Research Project Agency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.C. KITTEL, “Introduction to solid state physics,” Third edition (Wiley, New York, 1966) p. 648.Google Scholar
- 4.U. KEPPLER, Z. Metallkd. 79 (1988) 157, 481.Google Scholar
- 5.O. H. KRIKORIAN, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Report, UCRL-51043 (1971).Google Scholar
- 6.Idem., in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Science of Hard Materials, Institute of Physical Conference Series No. 75 (1986) 137.Google Scholar
- 7.Idem., High Temp–High Press. 20 (1988) 169.Google Scholar
- 9.Idem., “Comparative crystal chemistry” (John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1982) p. 115.Google Scholar
- 10.W. B. PEARSON, “The crystal chemistry and physics of metals and alloys” (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1972) p. 146.Google Scholar
- 11.E. TEATUM, K. GSCHNEIDNER and J. WABER, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC (1960) LA–2345.Google Scholar
- 13.P. ECKERLIN and H. KANDLER, “Structural data for elements and intermetallic phases” (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1971).Google Scholar