An XPS and thermogravimetric study of oxidized AlN and AlN–Si3N4 layers deposited by liquid-phase chemical vapour deposition
- 302 Downloads
The results of a comparative study of the resistance to oxidation of AlN and a codeposit of AlN–Si3N4 are presented. The oxidation of both types of layer was performed at 1200°C in an oxygen gas flow (pO2∼1 atm). A thermogravimetric analysis was made, recording the weight gain throughout the oxidation process, and revealed a dramatic improvement in the resistance to oxidation of the codeposit layer when compared with the aluminium nitride layer. An X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy depth-profile analysis was made by performing a series of successive abrasive polishes on the oxidized layers. After each abrasive polish the sample surface was cleaned by ionic bombardment under ultrahigh vacuum and the photoemission spectra recorded. This process of polishing, etching and analysis was continued until the oxygen content decreased to a level comparable with that observed in the layers before oxidation. The changes in chemical bonding throughout the various depth profiles were examined by deconvolution of the Al 2p and Si 2p photoelectron peaks and by analysis of the Auger K L L lines. It was concluded that the slower rate of oxidation of the codeposit could be attributed to either the formation of silica or a mixed oxide phase of the mullite type (3 Al2O3–2SiO2).
KeywordsNitride Phase Photoelectron Peak Aluminium Nitride Auger Parameter Abrasive Polishing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y Pauleau, J. J. Hartzpergue and J. C. Remy, Bull. Soc. Chim. Fr. 5– 6 (1979) 199.Google Scholar
- 2.F. L. Riley, Sci. Ceram. 12 (1983) 15.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Feil, Hybrid Circuits, 18 (1989) 29.Google Scholar
- 4.K. T. McGarron, G. R. Kline, J. T. Martin and K. M. Larkin, IEEE Ultrason. Symp. Proc 1 (1988) 673.Google Scholar
- 6.H. Kurogi, N. Inoue, M. Takahashi, H. Tamura, T. Ajioka, M. Yoshimaru and M. Ino, IEICE Tech Rep SDM91-30 (1991) p. 43.Google Scholar
- 9.Frank Henry, PhD thesis, Université de Montpellier, January 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Briggs and M. P. Seah, “Practical Surface Analysis by Auger and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy” (Wiley, Chichester, 1983) p. 363.Google Scholar
- 12.F. Henry, B. Armas, M. Balat, R. Berjoan and C. Combescure, J. Phys. IV, Coll. C3, Suppl. J. Phys. 23 (1993) 519.Google Scholar
- 15.C. P. Wagner, W. M. Riggs, L. E. Davis, J. F. Moulder and G. E. Muilenberg, “Handbook of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy” (Perkin-Elmer, Eden, Prairie, MN, 1979).Google Scholar
- 20.S. Hoffman, J. Trace Microprobe Technol. 1 (1982/83) 213.Google Scholar