Determination of trace elements in human nail clippings by neutron activation analysis
- 88 Downloads
In this work instrumental neutron activation analysis was applied todetermine trace elements in nail clippings and to make a comparison betweenthe results obtained from samples from healthy children and those with cysticfibrosis (CF) disease. The findings indicated that fingernails from the CFgroup present higher concentrations of Cl, Cr, K and Na than those found inthe control group. On the other hand, the lowest concentrations for Cr werefound in the CF group. For the Al, As, Co, Fe, Mg, Mn, Se and Zn elementsthere were no differences between the results obtained for the CF and controlgroups. The quality control of the results was evaluated by analysing NIST1577b Bovine Liver and NIST 1566a Oyster Tissue standard reference materials.
KeywordsPhysical Chemistry Inorganic Chemistry Quality Control Cysticfibrosis Reference Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.P. A. Van Den Brandt,R. A. Goldohn,P. Van't Veer,P. Bode,E. Dorant,R. J. J. Hermos,F. Sturmans, J. Nat. Canc. Inst. 85 (1993) No. 3, 24.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Underwood,W. Mertz, Introduction in Trace Elements in Human and Animal Nutrition, Vol. 1, W. Mertz (Ed.), Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1987, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 6.International Atomic Energy Agency, Application of Neutron Activation Analysis in the Study of Cystic Fibrosis, Final Report, 689/6R, 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.P. A. Di Sant'Agnese, Introduction to the Study of Cystic Fibrosis of the Pancreas Mucoviscidosis, Fibrocystic Disease of the Pancreas, Ann. N. Y. Acad. of Science, v. 93, 1962, p. 486.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Piccot, Laboratoire Pierre Süe, CEA-CNRS, Centre d'Études de Saclay, F91191, Gif-sur-Yvette, CEDEX, France, personal communication, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.National Institute of Standards & Technology, Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1577b Bovine Liver, 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.National Institute of Standards & Technology, Certificate of Analysis, Standard Reference Material 1566a Oyster Tissue, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Vieira, Introduç ã o à Bioestatística, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Editora Campus, 1998, p. 137.Google Scholar