Combined extraction chromatography and scintillation detection for off-line and on-line monitoring of strontium in aqueous solutions
- 111 Downloads
This paper presents the application of a new sensor materials, whichcombine extraction chromatography and scintillation detection. The resultantsensor embodies the simultaneous dual functionality of selective extractionand radiation detection, which has been applied towards off-line and on-linemonitoring of radiostrontium in aqueous solutions. The sensor materials are(1) a mixture of commercially available Sr-selective extraction chromatographicresin and granular scintillator, (2) bis-4,4'(5')-tert-butylcyclohexano-18-crown-6(DtBuCH18C6) in 1-octanol coated on the surface of a scintillating glass and(3) inert chromatographic resin impregnated with the organic fluors, 2,5 diphenyloxazole,(PPO) and 1-4 bis(4- methyl-5-phenyloxazol-2-yl) benzene, (DM-POPOP) and eitherDtBuCH18C6 in 1-octanol or a proprietary extractant. For off-line measurements,the sensor materials are used in the same manner as the commercially availableextraction chromatographic resin, but rather than eluting the activity fromthe column, the scintillating extraction column is placed in a scintillationvial and counted without the introduction of liquid scintillation cocktail.For on-line measurements, the sensor materials are used in conjunction witha flow-cell scintillation detection system to assess the activity retainedby the extractant in real-time. Characterization of the detection efficiencyand regeneration capability of the extractive scintillator materials is evaluated.
KeywordsStrontium Extraction Column Radiation Detection Regeneration Capability Sensor Material
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. H. Reboul,R. A. Fjeld, Radioact. Radiochem., 5 (1994) 42.Google Scholar
- 5.A. M. Heimbuch,H. Y. Gee,A. DeHaan, Jr.,L. Leventhall, Radioisotope Sample Measurement Techniques in Medicine and Biology, Proc. Intern. Atomic Energy Agency Symp., Vienna, May 24–28, 1965.Google Scholar
- 10.T. A. DeVol,J. E. Roane,J. M. Williamson,J. M. Duffey,J. T. Harvey, Radioact. Radiochem., 11 (2000) No. 1.Google Scholar
- 11.T. A. DeVol,O. Egorov,J. E. Roane,A. Paulenova,J. W. Grate, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 249 (2001) No. 1.Google Scholar
- 12.J. T. Harvey, J. M. Williamson, J. M. Duffey, T. A. DeVol, J. E. Roane, NSF/SBIR-9760934, July 14, 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.A. Paulenova, T. A. DeVol, submitted for publication in J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem.Google Scholar