The stability of the anthrachinone derivative dithranol in creams was studied during storage at temperatures of 4°C and 20°C. Aluminum‐coated tubes with 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5% dithranol were stored and samples were analysed immediately and after 3, 6 and 12 months of storage. The 0.3% dithranol cream was also stored in polypropylene tubes. Drug concentration was analysed by high‐performance liquid chromatography. All concentrations tested were stable for 12 months of storage at 4°C in aluminum‐coated tubes. This means that these low concentrations are sufficiently stable to be prepared in advance for at least 12 months if prepared as described and kept refrigerated. Polypropylene tubes should not be used.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.de Vet AAMW, Pennings BJH, van de Kerkhof PCM. Behandeling van psoriasis met ditranol (Treatment of psoriasis with dithranol). Ned Tijdschr Geneesk 1992;136:214-7.Google Scholar
- 2.Lantinga H, Ek JW, Nijman FC, Antonietti-Barels IH, Nijssen JP, Bos D et al. NHG-standaard psoriasis (Dutch Physicians Standard psoriasis). Huisarts Wetensch 1994;37:111-9.Google Scholar
- 3.Peterse MTM. NHG-standaard “Psoriasis” (Dutch Physicians Standard “Psoriasis”). Pharm Weekbl 1994;129:726-9.Google Scholar
- 4.Prins M, Bouwhuis S, de Gast MJ, van der Valk PGM. Klinische ervaringen met ditranolcrème in twee formuleringen (Clinical experience with dithranol creams in two formulas). Pharm Weekbl 1998;133;1508-11.Google Scholar
- 5.Ros JJW, van der Meer YG. Preparation, analysis and stability of oil-in-water dreams containing dithranol. Eur J Hosp Pharm 1991;1:77-84.Google Scholar
- 6.Ros JJW, Boer Y. Bereiding van ditranolbevattende preparaten (Preparation of dithranol containing compounds). Pharm Weekbl 1998; 133:1504-7.Google Scholar
- 7.Anonymous. Ditranolcrème (Dithranol cream). Formularium Nederlandse Apothekers (Formulary Dutch Pharmacists), Koninklijke Nederlandse Maatschappij ter bevordering der Pharmacie (Royal Society of Dutch Pharmacists), The Hague, 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.Anonymous. British Pharmacopoeia, London, 1993:888.Google Scholar