Pest Control Practices of Rice Farmers in Tanjong Karang, Malaysia
The main pest control tactic employed by the farmers in Tanjong Karang is the application of pesticides. The farmers seem more aware of the need to spray their crops. No fixed spray schedule is being adhered to. Most farmers spray when pest damages are observed. Three to four applications per season are usually used and most farmers spend less than M$100 (US $43) on chemicals in a season. Chemicals are usually bought with cash from chemical sales representatives.
More than half of the farmers rank rats as their most important pest (56.5%) and more than a quarter (27.2%) rank stem-borers as their most important pest. It is felt that farmers tend to mention these two pests, especially stem-borers, when they are being asked, as these are the “traditional” pests and their damages are usually visible.
In the main season 1980/81, 43.5% of the farmers reported serious pest damages in their fields. All these farmers attempted to control the pests using chemicals. However, only 27.5% of them felt that they had succeeded. This clearly suggests the need for better pest control practices to be implemented in Tanjong Karang.
Key WordsInsecticide usage Malaysia pest control rice farmers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Afifuddin H. O. (1978) Socio-economic aspects in the extension of research technologies at farm level. In Proc. Rice Review Meeting (Edited by Ismail Ahmed Anwar, Varghese J. and Abdullah Wan Rubiah), pp. 15–26. Mardi, Bumbong Lima.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (1981) Irrigation scheduling behaviour and related padi production constraints in Bagan Terap and Pancang Bedena: some preliminary findings. Working Paper No. PBLS. 08/05.01/(38). Project Manager’s Office, N.W. Selangor Project, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Chang P. M. (1980) Constraints to the implementation of integrated pest control of paddy insect pests in Malaysia. Trop. Agric. Res. Center. Min. Agric, Jap. pp. 101–106.Google Scholar
- Heong K. L. (1981) Crop protection decision making. Paper presented at the IPC Workshop held in Bumbong Lima, 11–14 Sept, 1981. Crop Protection Branch Information Leaflet No. 2, 13 pp. Mardi, Serdang, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Heong K. L. (1982) The role of models in pest management programmes. In Proc. Plant Protection in the Tropics (Edited by Heong K. L., Lee B. S., Lim T. M., Teoh C. H. and Ibrahim Yusoff), pp. 567–579. Mal. Pl. Prot. Soc., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Jusoh M. M., Heong K. L., Nik Mohd, Nor S., Chang P. M. and Lim G. S. (1981) Integrated pest control: Rationale, needs and case study for paddy in Malaysia. Paper presented at the Annual Mardi Conference 1981.Google Scholar
- Lim G. S., Heong K. L. and Ooi A. C. (1980) Constraints to integrated pest control in Malaysia. Paper presented at the Conference on Future Trends of Integrated Pest Management. IOBC, Bellagio, 30 May-4 June, 1980.Google Scholar
- Litsinger J. A., Price E. C. and Herrera R. T. (1980) Small farmer pest control practices for rainfed rice, corn, and grain legumes in three Philippines provinces. Philipp. Ent. 4, 65–86.Google Scholar
- Norton G. A. and Mumford J. D. (1982) Information gaps in pest management. In Proc. Plant Protection in the Tropics (Edited by Heong K. L., Lee B. S., Lim T. M., Teoh C. H. and Ibrahim Yusoff), pp. 589–598. Mal. Pl. Prot. Soc., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Prasadja I. and Ruhendi (1980) Farmers existing technology and pest control practices for food crops at three locations in Yogakarta Province. Report from Agency for Agric. Res. and Development, Central Res. Inst. for Agriculture, 59 pp. Bogor, Indonesia.Google Scholar
- Tait E. J. (1978a) Factors affecting the usage of insecticides and fungicides on fruit and vegetable crops in Great Britain: I. Crop — specific factors. J. environ. Management 6, 127–142.Google Scholar
- Tait E. J. (1978b) Factors affecting the usage of insecticides and fungicides on fruit and vegetable crops in Great Britain: II. Farmer — specific factors. J. environ. Management 6, 142–151.Google Scholar
- Zam Abdul Karim (1980) Bacian pengurusan dan kawalan serangga perosak padi di-rancangan perairan Tanjong Karang dan Krian. Cawangan Pemeliharaan Tanaman, Jabatan Pertanian, 20 pp. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar