Occurrence of Coelomomyces Indicus, a Fungal Pathogen of Malaria Mosquito Vector, Anopheles Gambiae Complex Along the Kenya Coast
A survey of the natural enemies of the main malaria vector in Kenya, Anopheles gambiae Giles, revealed the occurrence of a fungal pathogen in field populations of mosquito larvae. Light and scanning electron microscopy was used in the examination of sporangia of the fungus in determining its identity as Coehmomyces indicus Iyengar (Order: Blastocladiales; Family: Coelomomycetaceae). The resting sporangia were found in the thoracic and abdominal cavities of the larvae. A mortality of 63% or higher was found to occur among the larvae of A. gambiae in a two season observation along the Kenyan coast. The authors stress the need for more intensified ecological and laboratory studies aimed at developing C. indicus as a biocontrol agent.
Key WordsCoehmomyces indiens entomopathogenic fungus Anopheles gambiae Kenya Coast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Couch, J. N. (1945) Revision of the genus Coelomomyces parasitic in insect larvae. J. Elisha Mitchell scient. Soc. 61, 124–136.Google Scholar
- Dubitskij, A. M. (1976) The discovery in mosquito larvae of a fungus of the genus Coelomomyces in Southeastern Kazakhstan. Medskaya Parizit. 39, 737–738.Google Scholar
- Federici, B. A. (1981) Mosquito control by Culicimomyces, Lagenidium and Coelomomyces. In Microbial Control of Pests and Plant Diseases 1970–1980 (Edited by Burges, H. D.), pp. 555–572. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Gad, A. M., Sadek, S. and Fateen, Y. A. (1967) The occurrence of Coelomomyces indicus Iyengar in Egypt, U.A.R. Mosquito News 27, 201–202.Google Scholar
- Gad, A. M. and Sadek, S. (1968) Experimental infection of Anopheles pharoensis larvae with Coelomomyces indicus. J. Egypt. Pubil. Hlth Ass. 43, 387–391.Google Scholar
- Laird, M. (1960) Coelomomyces and the biological control of mosquitoes. In Conference on Biological Control of Insects of Medical Importance. American Institute of Biological Science, Technical Report (unnumbered).Google Scholar
- Muspratt, J. (1962) Destruction of the larvae of Anopheles gambiae Giles by a Coelomomyces fungus. WHO/EBL 52, 1–23.Google Scholar
- Muspratt, J. (1963) Destruction of the larvae of Anopheles gambiae Giles by a Coelomomyces fungus. Bull. Wld Hlth Org. 29, 81–126.Google Scholar
- Ribeiro, H., Ramos, C. H. and Pires, C. A. (1981) First records of Coelomomyces and Mermithids in mosquitoes of Angola, Africa. Mosquito News 41, 381.Google Scholar
- Umphlett, C. T. (1968) Ecology of Coelomomyces infections of mosquito larvae. J. Elisha Mitchell scient. Soc. 84, 108–114.Google Scholar