The Enhanced Suitability of Hybrid Goats over the Indigenous East African Goat as Hosts for Rearing Glossina Morsitans Morsitans Westwood
The suitability of the East African goat and various types of hybrid goats to serve as hosts for tsetse was compared over an extended period. Although there was no significant difference between indigenous and hybrid goats when feeding up to 350 flies per host, about 94% more indigenous goats than hybrid goats became unsuitable as hosts and required a prolonged period of rest when the fly burden was increased to 450 flies per host. Of the hybrid types assessed, Toggenburg crosses were best suited as hosts even though they required more frequent rest periods than the other hybrid types.
Key WordsEast African indigenous goat hybrid goat rearing tsetse hosts for feeding Glossina morsitans host suitability test fly-feeding burden
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Devendra C. and Burns M. (1970) Goat production in the tropics. Technical Communication 19, Commonwealth Agriculture Bureau, Farnham Royal, Bucks, England.Google Scholar
- Epstein H. (1953) The dwarf goats of Africa. E. Afr. agric. J. 18, 123–132.Google Scholar
- Gordon R. M. and Crewe W. (1948) The mechanisms by which mosquitoes and tsetse flies obtain their blood meal, the histology of the lesions produced, and the subsequent reactions of the mammalian host; together with some observations on the feeding of Chrysops and Cimex. Ann. trop. Med. Parasit. 42, 334–363.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mason I. L. and Maule J. P. (1960) The Indigenous Livestock of Eastern and Southern Africa. Technical Communication 14, Commonwealth Agriculture Bureau, Farnham Royal, Bucks, England.Google Scholar
- Warner P. V., Williamson D. L., Gregory D. J., Isangya A. and Karosi E. (1984) In vivo rearing of Glossina morsitans morsitans Westwood in Tanzania (Diptera: Glossinidae). I. Acquisition and development of host animals. Trop. Dis. Bull. In press.Google Scholar
- Williamson D. L., Baumgartner H., Mtuya A. G. and Warner P. V. (1983) Integration of insect sterility and insecticides for control of Glossina morsitans morsitans Westwood in Tanzania (Diptera: Glossinidae). I. Production of tsetse flies for release. Bull. ent. Res. 73, 259–265.CrossRefGoogle Scholar