Studies on the Legume Pod-Borer, Maruca Testulalis Geyer—VII. Field Surveys on Pathogenic Microorganisms
Field surveys along the Lake Basin and the Coastal regions of Kenya were carried out to assess the natural incidence of pathogenic microorganisms associated with the legume pod-borer, Maruca testulalis Geyer on the cowpea crop. A regular sampling regime was maintained on plots planted with four varieties of cowpea: T VX 66-2H, Vita 3 (TVU 1190), Ex-Luanda and Nyar-Milambo. Larvae of M. testulalis were recovered from the flowers and pods of the crop, and subjected to routine laboratory disease diagnosis including: tissue examination, culture incubation, microscopy and pathogen identification. The main groups of pathogenic microorganisms found to act as natural mortality factors to M. testulalis larvae include: protozoa, bacteria, fungi and a virus. A higher level of disease incidence and diversity on M. testulalis larvae occurred in the lake basin region of Kenya than the coastal part.
Key WordsPathogenic microorganisms Maruca testulalis preliminary field survey cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L. Walp)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bohlen E. (1973). On pests of pulses and their control. In Crop Pests in Tanzania and Their Control. Edited by the Federal Agency for Economic Cooperation. Paul Parey, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Breed R. S., Murray E. G. C. and Smith N. R. (1957) Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology. (7th edition), Williams & Wilkins Company, Baltimore, 1094 pp.Google Scholar
- Burges H. D. (1981) Microbial Control of Pest and Plant Diseases 1970-1980. Academic Press, New York, 949 pp.Google Scholar
- Ignoffo C. M., Marston N. L., Puttier B., Hostetter D. L., Thomas G. D., Biever K. D. and Dickerson W. A. (1976) Natural biotic agents controlling insect pests of Missouri soybeans. World Soybean Research, pp. 562–578.Google Scholar
- Odebiyi J. B. (1981) Studies on the biology of the cowpea pod-borer, Maruca testulalis in Kenya—I. Determination of the larval instars. Insect Sci. Application. 1, 339–341.Google Scholar
- Okeyo-Owuor J. B. and Ochieng R. S. (1981) Studies on the legume pod-borer, Maruca testulalis Geyer—I. Life cycle and behaviour. Insect Sci. Application. 1, 263–268.Google Scholar
- Skerman V. B. D. (1967) A Guide to the Identification of the Genera of Bacteria. (2nd edition), Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, Maryland, 303 pp.Google Scholar
- Smirnoff W. A. (1962) A staining method for differentiating spores, crystals, and cells of Bacillus thuringiensis (Berliner). J. Insect Pathol. 4, 384–386.Google Scholar
- Summerfield R. J., Huxley P. A. and Steel W. (1974) On cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L. Walp) In Field Crop Abstracts Vol. 27, pp. 301–312.Google Scholar
- Taylor T. A. (1968) Effect of insecticide application on insect damage and performance of cowpea in southern Nigeria. Nigeria agric. J. 5, 29–37.Google Scholar