Insect Pests of Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus L.) in Kenya
The pest complex of sunflower and its relative abundance and economic importance are discussed. A total of 80 insect species were collected—five of these were recorded on roots, 51 on stems and leaves and 29 on floral parts and developing seed. The major pests of sunflower commonly encountered in all the localities studied were Agrotis segetum Schiff, Agrotis ypsilon Hfn, Plusia orichalcea F., Nezara viridula L. and Heliothis armigera HB.
Key WordsSunflower pests Helianthus annuus Agrotis Plusia Nezara Heliothis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1980) Statistical abstract. Kenya Government.Google Scholar
- Bohlen E. (1973) Crop Pests in Tanzania and Their Control. Verlag Paul Parey, Berlin and Hamburg.Google Scholar
- de Pury J. M. S. (1969) Crop pests of East Africa. Oxford University Press, London.Google Scholar
- Dunbar A. R. (1969) The Annual Crops of Uganda. E. A. Lit. Bureau.Google Scholar
- Hill D. S. (1975) Agricultural Insect Pests of the Tropics and their Control. Cambridge, London.Google Scholar
- Le Pelley R. H. (1959) Agricultural Insects of East Africa. E. A. High Commission, Nairobi.Google Scholar
- Kamu A. W. (1977) A survey of insects associated with soybean Glycine max L., with special reference to the biology of Plusia orichalcea Fab. (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). M.Sc. thesis, University of Nairobi.Google Scholar
- Khaemba B. M. (1976) A survey of insects associated with sunflower Helianthus annuus L. (compositae). M.Sc. thesis, University of Nairobi.Google Scholar
- Schmutterer H. (1969) Pests of Crops in Northeast and Central Africa with Particular Reference to Sudan. Stultgard, Portland, U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Swaine G. (1961) Plant Pests of Importance in Tanganyika. Department of Agriculture, Tanganyika, Bulletin No. 13.Google Scholar
- Wheatly and Crowe (1967) Pest Handbook: The Recognition and Control of More Important Pests of Agriculture in Kenya. Republic of Kenya.Google Scholar