Occurrence and Abundance of Rice Stem Borers at Mbita Point in Western Kenya
Surveys on the stem borer complex of rice were initiated at Mbita Point Field Station during 1980–1981. Stem borers collected and identified so far included Maliarpha separatella Rag; Diopsis thoracica West; Sesamia calamistis Hmps., and Chilo partellus Wlk. Among these four species, M. separatella was the most abundant and showed highest infestation during the reproductive and ripening phases of the rice crop. D. thoracica was found to cause greatest damage on the crop during the crop’s tillering phase. It is suggested that there may be differences in Maliarpha infestation due to rice varieties.
Key WordsStem borer complex Maliarpha separatella Diopsis thoracica sesamia calamistis Chilo partellus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agyen-Sampong M. (1978) The ecology of rice stem borers in West Africa. A paper presented at the inauguration of the African Association of Insect Scientists at the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE) Nairobi, Kenya, December 5–8, 1978.Google Scholar
- Anon (1977) WARDA (West African Rice Development Association) Annual Report p. 85.Google Scholar
- Anon (1978) WARDA (West African Rice Development Association) Annual Report 3, 29–30.Google Scholar
- Catling H. D. (1980) Pests and diseases of deep water rice in Bangladesh. AD AB News 7, 9–10.Google Scholar
- Halteren P., van (1977) Yield losses and economic injury levels of rice insect pests in South Sulawesi, Indonesia. Int. Rice. Res. Newsl. 4. Aug. 1977.Google Scholar
- Khan D. U., Khan S. A., Amin M. R. and Alam M. S. (1975) The assessment of yield loss of Boro paddy caused by rice stem borer. Bangladesh J. Zool. 3, 43–48.Google Scholar
- Pathak M. D. (1975) Insect Pests of Rice and their Control. International Rice Research Institute, Los Banos, Laguna.Google Scholar
- Soejitno J. (1977) Relation between damage by rice stem borer Tryporyza incertulas and yield of rice variety Pelita 1–1. Int. Rice Res. Newsl. 4. Aug. 1977.Google Scholar