Experimental and numerical studies of impact on filament-wound composite cylinder
This study focused on the impact behavior of carbon-fiber-wrapped composite cylinders subjected to impact from flat-ended, hemispherical-nosed and conical-nosed impactors. Damage morphologies of the cylinders and mechanisms of the damage were analyzed. Change laws of the maximum impact forces, durations of impact processes and energies absorbed by the cylinders after impact with different impactors and impact energies were obtained. A finite element model was developed and the simulation results were in reasonable agreement with the tests. Finally, taking the flat-ended impactor as an example, stress distributions of the cylinders under pressurization and impact were discussed.
KeywordsComposite cylinder Impact testing Numerical simulation Damage behavior Impact curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.C.L. Zheng, M.F. Ren, W. Zhao, H.R. Chen, Delamination prediction of composite filament wound vessel with metal liner under low velocity impact, Compos. Struct. 75 (1–4) (2006) 387–392.Google Scholar
- 7.EN 12245-2002, Transportable gas cylinders-Fully wrapped composite cylinders.Google Scholar
- 8.ISO/TS 15869-2009, Gaseous hydrogen and hydrogen blends-Land vehicle fuel tanks.Google Scholar
- 9.ISO 11439-2013, Gas cylinders-high pressure cylinders for the on-board storage of natural gas as a fuel for automotive vehicles.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Lasn, N.P. Vedvik, A.T. Echtermeyer, The sensitivity of the burst performance of impact damaged pressure vessels to material strength properties, IOP Conf. Ser. 139 (1) (2016) 012029.Google Scholar