Frequency-dependent random fatigue of panel-type structures made of ceramic matrix composites
- 3 Downloads
The panel-type structures used in aerospace engineering can be subjected to severe high-frequency acoustic loadings in service. This paper evaluates the frequency-dependent random fatigue of panel-type structures made of ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) under acoustic loadings. Firstly, the high-frequency random responses from the broadband random excitation will result in more stress cycles in a definite period of time. The probability density distributions of stress amplitudes will be different in different frequency band-widths, though the peak stress estimations are identical. Secondly, the fatigue properties of CMCs can be highly frequency-dependent. The fatigue evaluation method for the random vibration case is adopted to evaluate the fatigue damage of a representative stiffened panel structure. The frequency effect through S-N curves on random fatigue damage is numerically verified. Finally, a parameter is demonstrated to characterize the mean vibration frequency of a random process, and hence this parameter can further be considered as a reasonable loading frequency in the fatigue tests of CMCs to obtain more reliable S-N curves. Therefore, the influence of vibration frequency can be incorporated in the random fatigue model from the two perspectives.
KeywordsRandom fatigue Frequency effect Ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) S-N curve Loading frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 19.M. Behnke, A. Sharma, A. Przekop, S. Rizzi, Thermal-acoustic analysis of a metallic integrated thermal protection system structure, in: Proceedings of the 51st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference; Orlando, Florida: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Y. Zhou, Q. Fei, S. Wu, Utilization of modal stress approach in random-vibration fatigue evaluation, in: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2016 Epub ahead of print 26 Oct 2016.Google Scholar
- 28.Dirlik T. Application of Computers in Fatigue Analysis: University of Warwick; 1985.Google Scholar
- 30.DoD. U.S.A. Military standard: environmental test methods and engineering guidelines. Acoustic noise. Ohio 1983.Google Scholar
- 31.Y.L. Lee, J. Pan, R. Hathaway, B. Mark, Fatigue Testing And Analysis: Theory And Practice, Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann, Burlington, MA, 2005.Google Scholar
- 33.J.J. Wijker, Random Vibrations in Spacecraft Structures design: Theory and Applications, in: G. GML (Ed.), Springer Dordrecht Heidelberg London New York: Springer Science & Business Media, 2009.Google Scholar