On the Stability of a Functionally Graded Rectangular Micro-Plate Subjected to Hydrostatic and Nonlinear Electrostatic Pressures
This article studies the stability of a functionally graded clamped-clamped microplate subjected to hydrostatic and electrostatic pressures. Equilibrium positions of the micro-plate are determined and shown in the state control space. To study the stability of the equilibrium positions, the motion trajectories are given for different initial conditions in the phase plane. Effects of the electrostatic and hydrostatic pressure changes on the deflection and stability of the micro-plate for some sample value of k are studied and values of the applied voltage and hydrostatic pressure leading system to unstable conditions by undergoing a saddle node and homoclinic bifurcations are determined.
Key wordsMEMS FGM stability micro-plate electrostatic hydrostatic pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Koizumi, M., The concept of FGM. Ceramic Transactions, Functionally Gradient Materials, 1993, 34(1): 3–10.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., Ikehara, T., Lu, J., Kobayashi, T., Ichiki, M., Itoh, T., et al. Novel MEMS-based thermometer with low power consumption for health-monitoring network application. SPIE, 2008, 1: 6800.Google Scholar
- Craciunescu, C. and Wuttig, M., New ferromagnetic and functionally grade shape memory alloys. Journal of Optoelectronics Advanced Materials, 2003, 5(1): 139–146.Google Scholar
- Witvrouw, A. and Mehta, A., The use of functionally graded poly-SiGe layers for MEMS applications. Journal of Functionally Graded Materials, 2005, (8): 492–493: 255–260.Google Scholar
- Rahaeifard, M., Kahrobaiyan, M. and Ahmadian, M., Sensitivity analysis of atomic force microscope cantilever made of functionally graded materials. In: DETC2009-86254, 3rd International Conference on Micro and Nano-Systems (MNS3) 2009, San Diego, CA, USA, 2009.Google Scholar
- Soleymani, P., Sadeghian, H., Tahmasebi, A. and Rezazadeh, G., Pull-in Instability Investigation of Circular Micro Pump Subjected to Nonlinear Electrostatic Force. Sensors & Transducers Journal, 2006, 69(7): 622–628.Google Scholar
- Rezazadeh, G., Tayefe-Rezaei, S., Ghesmati, J. and Tahmasebi, A., Investigation of the pull-in phenomenon in drug delivery micropump using Galerkin method. Sensors and Transducers Journal, 2007, 78(4): 1098–107.Google Scholar
- Sazonova, V., A Tunable Carbon Nanotube Resonator. Ph.D. dissertation, university of Cornell, 2006.Google Scholar
- Jia, X., Yang, J. and Kitipornchai, S., Characterization of FGM micro-switches under electrostatic and Casimir forces. Materials Science and Engineering, 2010, 10: 012178.Google Scholar
- Nabian, A., Rezazadeh, G., Haddad-derafshi, M. and Tahmasebi, A., Investigation of pull-in phenomenon of rectangular micro-plate subjected to nonlinear electrostatic pressure. Sensors & Transducers Journal, 2006, 73(11): 810–818.Google Scholar
- Azizi, S., Design of Micro Accelerometer to Use as Airbag Activator. MSc thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran, 2008: 53–54.Google Scholar
- Seydel, R., Practical Bifurcation and Stability Analysis, Third Edition. Springer, aDOI 10.1007/978-1-4419-1740-9.Google Scholar