Analytical Analysis of Interfacial Stresses in FRP-RC Hybrid Beams with Time-Dependent Deformations of RC Beam
In this paper, the effect of time-dependent deformations (such as shrinkage and creep) on the interfacial stresses between an RC beam and FRP plate is presented. For this end, a closed-form solution for such stresses in externally FRP plated RC beams including creep and shrinkage effects is presented. The developed model is formulated to predict the interfacial stresses at time ‘t’, in which the RC beams have been already subjected to creep and shrinkage effects. The adherend shear deformations have been included in the present theoretical analysis by assuming a parabolic shear stress through the thickness of the RC beam and the FRP panel. Contrary to some existing studies, the assumption that both RC beam and FRP panel have the same curvature is not used in the present investigation. This research is helpful for the understanding on mechanical behavior of the interface and design of the FRP-RC hybrid structures.
Key wordshybrid structure RC beams FRP composites interfacial stresses creep shrinkage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jansze, W., Strengthening of Reinforced RC Members in Bending by Externally Bonded Steel Plates. Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands, 1997.Google Scholar
- Raithby, K.D., External Strengthening of Concrete Bridges with Bonded Steel Plates. Suppl. Report 612, Transport and Road Research Laboratory, 1975.Google Scholar
- Hamid, S., Ehsani, M.R. and Jin, L., Repair of earthquake-damaged RC columns with FRP wraps. ACI Structural Journal, 1997, 94(2): 206–215.Google Scholar
- Meier, U., Bridge repair with high performance composite materials. Materials Technik, 1987, 15: 125–128.Google Scholar
- Teng, J.G., Cheng, J.F., Smith, S.T. and Lam, L., FRP-Strengthened RC Structures. UK: John Wiley and Sons, 2002.Google Scholar
- Roberts, T.M., Approximate analysis of shear and normal stress concentrations in adhesive layer of plated RC beams. The Structure Engineering, London, 1989, 67(12): 229–233.Google Scholar
- Malek, A.M., Saadatmanesh, H. and Ehsani, M.R., Prediction of failure load of RC beams strengthened with FRP plate due to stress concentration at the plate end. ACI Structural Journal, 1998, 95(2): 142–152.Google Scholar
- Adams, R.D. and Wake, W.C., Structural Adhesive Joints in Engineering. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1986.Google Scholar
- Trost, H. and Wolff, J., Zur wirklichkeitsnahen ermittlung der beanspruchungen in abschnittsweise hergestellten spannbetontragwerken. Bauingenieur, 1970, 45: 155–169.Google Scholar
- Eurocode 2 Editorial Group, Design of concrete structures, part 1: General rules and rules for buildings. Eurocode No. 2, Brussels, 1991.Google Scholar