Phononic Band Gaps in Two-Dimensional Hybrid Triangular Lattice
Absolute phononic band gaps can be substantially improved in two-dimensional lattices by using a symmetry reduction approach. In this paper, the propagation of elastic waves in a two-dimensional hybrid triangular lattice structure consisting of stainless steel cylinders in air is investigated theoretically. The band structure is calculated with the plane wave expansion (PWE) method. The hybrid triangular Bravais lattice is formed by two kinds of triangular lattices. Different from ordinary triangular lattices, the band gap opens at low frequency (between the first and the second bands) regime because of lifting the bands degeneracy at high symmetry points of the Brillouin zone. The location and width of the band gaps can be tuned by the position of the additional rods.
Key wordsphononic crystal phononic band gap hybrid triangular lattice plane wave expansion method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Vasseur, J.O., Deymier, P.A., Khelif, A., Lamibn, P., Diafari-Rouhani, B., Akjouj, A., Dobrzynski, L., Fettouhi, N. and Zemmouri, J., Phononic crystal with low filling fraction and absolute acoustic band gap in the audible frequency range A theoretical and experimental study. Physical Review E, 2002, 65(056608): 1–6.Google Scholar
- Maldovan, M. and Thomas, E.L., Simultaneous localization of photons and phonons in two-dimensional periodic structures. Applied Physics Letters, 2006, 88(251907): 1–3.Google Scholar
- Vasseur, J.O., Hladky-Hennion, A.C., Djafari-Rouhani, B., Duval, F., Dubus, B., Pennec, Y. and Deymier, P.A., Waveguiding in two-dimensional piezoelectric phononic crystal plates. Journal of Applied Physics, 2007, 101(114904): 1–6.Google Scholar
- Yang, S.X., Page, J.H., Liu, Z.Y., Cowan, M.L., Chan, C.T. and Sheng, P., Ultrasound tunneling through 3D phononic crystal. Physical Review Letters, 2002, 88(104301): 1–4. 1Google Scholar
- Wu, T.T., Hsu, C.H. and Sun, J.H., Design of a highly magnified directional acoustic source based on the resonant cavity of two-dimensional phononic crystals. Applied Physics Letters, 2006, 89(171912): 1–3.Google Scholar
- Sainidou, R., Stefanou, N. and Modinos, A., Widening of phononic transmission gaps via Anderson localization. Physical Review Letters, 2005, 94(205503): 1–4.Google Scholar
- Trifonov, T., Marsal, L.F., Rodriguez, A., Pallares, J. and Alcubilla, R., Effects of symmetry reduction in two-dimensional square and triangular lattices. Physical Review B, 2004, 69(235112): 1–11.Google Scholar
- Santoro, G., Prieto-Gonzalez, I., Gonzalez-Diaz, J.B., Martinez, L.J. and Postigo, P.A., Triangular air-hole based two-dimensional photonic crystal slabs design: A parametrical study. Optic Pure Applied, 2007, 40(3): 243–248.Google Scholar