Plastic limit analysis of ductile composite structures from micro- to macro-mechanical analysis
The load-bearing capacity of ductile composite structures comprised of periodic composites is studied by a combined micro/macromechanical approach. Firstly, on the microscopic level, a representative volume element (RVE) is selected to reflect the microstructures of the composite materials and the constituents are assumed to be elastic perfectly-plastic. Based on the homogenization theory and the static limit theorem, an optimization formulation to directly calculate the macroscopic strength domain of the RVE is obtained. The finite element modeling of the static limit analysis is formulated as a nonlinear mathematical programming and solved by the sequential quadratic programming method, where the temperature parameter method is used to construct the self-stress field. Secondly, Hill’s yield criterion is adopted to connect the micromechanical and macromechanical analyses. And the limit loads of composite structures are worked out on the macroscopic scale. Finally, some examples and comparisons are shown.
Key wordsperiodic composites limit analysis homogenization micro/macromechanics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benssousan, A., Lions, J.L. and Papanicoulau, G., Asymptotic Analysis for Periodic Structures. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1978.Google Scholar
- Sanchez-Palencia, E., Non-homogeneous media and vibration theory. In: Lecture Notes in Physics 127, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1980.Google Scholar
- Suquet P., Elements of homogenization for inelastic solid mechanics. In: Lecture Notes in Physics 272, New York: Springer, 1987, 193–278.Google Scholar
- Francescato, P. and Pastor, J., Lower and upper numerical bounds to the off-axis strength of unidirectional fiber-reinforced composites by limit analysis methods. European Journal of Mechanics — A/Solids, 1997, 16(2): 213–34.Google Scholar
- Carvelli, V., Maier, G. and Taliercio, A., Kinematic limit analysis of periodic heterogeneous media. Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, 2000, 1: 19–30.Google Scholar
- Zhang, H.T., Liu, Y.H. and Xu, B.Y., A Lower Bound Limit Analysis of Ductile Composite Materials. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2005, 18(3): 215–224.Google Scholar
- Li, H.X., Liu, Y.H., Feng, X.Q. and Cen, Z.Z., Micro/macromechanical plastic limit analyses of composite materials and structures, Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2001, 14(1): 71–74.Google Scholar