Exact solution for orthotropic materials weakened by doubly periodic cracks of unequal size under antiplane shear
Orthotropic materials weakened by a doubly periodic array of cracks under far-field antiplane shear are investigated, where the fundamental cell contains four cracks of unequal size. By applying the mapping technique, the elliptical function theory and the theory of analytical function boundary value problems, a closed form solution of the whole-field stress is obtained. The exact formulae for the stress intensity factor at the crack tip and the effective antiplane shear modulus of the cracked orthotropic material are derived. A comparison with the finite element method shows the efficiency and accuracy of the present method. Several illustrative examples are provided, and an interesting phenomenon is observed, that is, the stress intensity factor and the dimensionless effective modulus are independent of the material property for a doubly periodic cracked isotropic material, but depend strongly on the material property for the doubly periodic cracked orthotropic material. Such a phenomenon for antiplane problems is similar to that for in-plane problems. The present solution can provide benchmark results for other numerical and approximate methods.
Key wordsorthotropic material a doubly periodic array of cracks antiplane shear boundary value problem stress intensity factor effective modulus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zhao, C. and Huang, P.Y., Fracture criterion of I-II mixed mode crack for orthotropic plate. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 2002, 23(4): 426–430 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Lavrentieff, M.A. and Shabat, B.V., Methods of Functions of a Complex Variable. Shi, X.L., Xia, D.Z. and Lv, N.G. trans. Beijing: Higher Education Press, 2006 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hwu, C., Collinear cracks in anisotropic bodies. International Journal of Fracture, 1991, 52(4): 239–256.Google Scholar
- Jiang, C.P. and Liu, Y.W., Antiplane problems of collinear cracks between dissimilar anisotropic materials. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 1994, 15(4): 327–332 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Pi, Z., A finite element analysis of doubly periodic crack problems. Master’s Degree Thesis, Beijing: Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2007 (in Chinese).Google Scholar