Storm Resistant Boat Designing Based on the Geometry and Movement of Water Strider
A novel conceptual model of boat is developed based on the bionic properties of water strider. This four-legged model is called storm resistance boat. Concentrated balancing forces, asymmetry of arms and smooth motion against waves and the effect of arms length on the reduction of drag and effects of wave are the major characteristics of water strider which are considered for designing this model. The results indicate the characteristic improvement of the small boat and its resistance against strong waves as well as marine ill-conditions. This boat can be considered as a high speed rescue boat in marine traffic.
Keywordswater strider storm resistant boat legged bionic boat design balancing system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lewis EV. Principles of Naval Architecture, Vol 1. Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, New York, 1988.Google Scholar
- Rawson K J, Tupper E C. Basic Ship Theory, 5th ed. Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 2001.Google Scholar
- Pourasgharyan H. SWATH Engineering and Modeling. B S Thesis, University of AmirKabir, Iran, 2007Google Scholar
- Holtrop J. Technical Articles: Estimating Stability, [2008-09-10], http://www.johnsboatstuff.com/articles/estimati.htm
- Sadeghi K. Coasts, Ports and Offshore Structures Engineering, Power and Water University of Technology, Iran, 2001.Google Scholar