Fracture characteristics of austempered spheroidal graphite aluminum cast irons
- 1 Downloads
The fracture characteristics of austempered spheroidal graphite aluminum cast iron had been investigated. The chemical content of the alloy was C3.2, Al2.2, Ni0.8 and Mg0.05 (in mass percent, %). Impact test samples were produced from keel blocks cast in CO2 molding process. The oversized impact samples were austenitized at 850 and 950 °C for 2h followed by austempering at 300 and 400 °C for 30, 60, 120 and 180 min. The austempered samples were machined and tested at room temperature. The impact strength values for those samples austempered at 400 ’C varied between 90 and 110 J. Lower bainitic structures showed impact strength values of 22 to 50 J. The fractures of the samples were examined using SEM. The results showed that the upper bainitic fracture revealed a honey Comb-like topography, which confirmed the ductile fracture behavior. The lower bainitic fractures of those samples austempered for short times revealed brittle fracture.
Key wordsaustempering fracture characteristic aluminum cast iron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Forrest R D. Austempered Ductile Iron for Both Strength and Toughness [J]. Machine Design, 1985, 57(22): 95.Google Scholar
- Crane F A A, Charls J A. Selection and Use of Engineering Materials [M]. London: Butterworth, 1984.Google Scholar
- Dorazil E, Barta B, Munsterova E. High Strength Bainitic Ductile Cast Iron [J]. AFS International Cast Metals Journal, 1982, 7(2): 52.Google Scholar
- ASM. Metals Handbook [M]. 8th ed. Metals Park: ASM, 1974.Google Scholar
- Jolley G, Gilbert G N J. Segragation in Nodular Iron and Its Influence on Mechanical Properties [J]. The British Foundryman, 1967, 60(3): 79.Google Scholar
- Al-Biedhany FAT. Transformation Kinetics, Structure and Mechanical Properties of Unalloyed and Ni-Mo Alloyed Austempered Spheroidal Graphite Cast Irons [D]. Birmingham: The University of Birmingham, 1984.Google Scholar
- Boutorabi S M A, Young J M, Kondic V. Austempering Kinetics of Spheroidal Graphite Aluminum Cast Iron [J]. International Journal of Engineering, 1995, 6(2a): 45.Google Scholar
- Boutorabi S M A. The Austempering Kinetics, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Spheroidal Graphite Unalloyed Aluminum Cast Iron [D]. Brimingham: University of Brimingham, 1991.Google Scholar
- Sidjanin L, Smallman R, Boutorabi S M A, et al. The Influence of Microstructure on the Mechanical Properties and Fracture Toughness of ADI [C] //Engineering Materials Advisory Serviced LTD. Reliability and Structural Integrity of Advanced Materials. Birmingham: EMAS Publication, 1993: 61.Google Scholar