Application of geometric midline yield criterion for strip drawing
A new linear yield criterion expressed by the geometric midline of error triangle between Tresca and Twin shear stress yield loci on the π-plane in Haigh-Westergaard space was introduced. The criterion was written in terms of the values of principal stress deviator and called GM yield criterion for short. Together with a Cartesian coordinate velocity field instead of the Avitzur’s, the GM criterion was used to obtain an analytical solution for strip drawing. With a working example of the strip drawing through wedge-shaped die, the results of relative drawing stress calculated by the GM criterion were compared with those calculated by Mises’ criterion from Avitzur formula. It indicated that the calculated results according to analytical solution were in good agreement with the numerical solution obtained from Avitzur formula.
Key wordsGM yield criterion strip drawing analytical solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avitzur B. Metal Forming Process [M]. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1968.Google Scholar
- Masuda M, Murota T, Jimma T. Sheet Drawing Through a Wedge-Shaped Die [J]. Annals IRP, 1965, 13(1): 325.Google Scholar
- ZHAO De-wen. Mathematical Solution of Continuum Forming Force [M], Shenyang: Northeastern University Press, 2003 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- ZHAO De-wen, XU Jian-zong, YANG Hong. Application of Twin Shear Stress Yield Criterion in Axisymmetrical Indentation of a Semi-Infinite Medium [A]. YU M H, FAN S C, eds. Proceedings of International Symposium on Strength Theory [C]. New York: Science Press, 1998. 1079.Google Scholar
- ZHAO De-wen, XIE Ying-jie, LIU Xiang-hua, et al. New Yield Equation Based on Geometric Midline of Error Triangles Between Tresca and Twin Shear Stress Yield Loci [J]. Journal of Northeastern University (Natural Science), 2004, 25(2): 121 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Avitzur B. Handbook of Metal-Forming Process [M]. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1983.Google Scholar
- Willianm F H. Metal Forming Mechanics and Metallurgy [M]. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall Inc, 1983.Google Scholar