The identification of a new genetic variant of Grapevine virus B
- 5 Downloads
A new genetic variant of Grapevine virus B (GVB) was detected in LN33 hybrid grapevine exhibiting symptoms of Corky Bark (CB) disease. The full genome sequence of the variant, named here GVB 248, shares 75.6–82.1% nt identity with other variants of this virus deposited in GenBank/EMBL database. The variant was found as a single GVB-variant infection in the source LN33 grapevine, and in a mixture with other variants of this virus in one of three other GVB-infected LN33 hybrid grapevine used in this study.
KeywordsGrapevine virus B Genetic variants Genome sequence Corky bark disease
This research was partially funded by Winetech, South Africa. The author thanks Dr. N.I. Katis (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece) for help in the designing the GVB-specific degenerate oligonucleotide primers.
- Anonym, 2012 ICTV Virus Taxonomy. Available from: (http:/www.ictvonline.org/virusTaxonomy.asp?version=2012)
- Beukman EF, Goheen AC (1970) Grape corky bark. In: Frasier NW (ed) Virus diseases of small fruits and grapevines. University of California, Berkeley, pp 207–209Google Scholar
- Bonavia M, Digiaro M, Boscia D, Boari A, Bottalico G, Savino V, Martelli GP (1996) Studies on “corky rugose wood” of grapevine and on the diagnosis of grapevine virus B. vitis 35:53–58Google Scholar
- Boscia D, Abu-Ghanem N, Sardarelli P, Minafra A, Castellano MA, Garau R, Savino V, Martelli GP (1994) A comparative study of grapevine virus B isolates. Rivista Patologie Vegetale SV 4:11–24Google Scholar
- Boscia D, Minafra A, Martelli GP (1997) Filamentous viruses of grapevine: Putative trichoviruses and capilloviruses. In: Monette PL (ed) Filamentous Viruses of Woody Plants. Research Signpost, Trivandrum, India, pp 19–28Google Scholar
- Engelbrecht DJ, Kasdorf GGF (1990) Field spread of corky bark, fleck, leafroll and shiraz decline diseases and associated viruses in south African grapevines. Phytophylactica 22:347–354Google Scholar
- Hewitt WB, Goheen AC, Raski DJ, Gooding GV (1962) Studies on virus diseases of the grapevine in California. Vitis 3:57–83Google Scholar
- Hu GJ, Dong YF, Zhang ZP, Fan XD, Ren F, Zhu HJ (2014b) Complete nucleotide sequence of a new isolate of grapevine virus B from China. J Plant Pathol 96:403–406Google Scholar
- Martelli GP (1993) Rugose wood complex. In: Martelli (ed) Graft-transmissible diseases of grapevines. Handbook for detection and diagnosis. FAO Publication Division, Rome, pp 45–53Google Scholar
- Tanne E, Marcus R, Dubitzky E, Raccah B (1996) Analysis of progress and spatial pattern of corky bark in grapes. Plant Dis 80:43–38Google Scholar
- Voncina D, Simon S, Dermic E, Cvjetkovic B, Pejic I, Maletic E, Kontic JK (2011) Differential properties of grapevine virus B isolates from Croatian autochthonous grapevine cultivars. J Plant Pathol 93:283–289Google Scholar