The C6D6 detector system on the Back-n beam line of CSNS
- 22 Downloads
The neutron capture cross sections are very important in the field of nuclear device design and basic physics research. Hydrogen-free liquid scintillator such as C6D6 detectors are widely used in the neutron capture cross-sectional measurements for the low neutron sensitivity and fast time response. The Back-n white neutron source at China Spallation Neutron Source is the first spallation white neutron source in China, and it is suitable for neutron capture cross-sectional measurement.
Materials and methods
A C6D6 detector system was built in the Back-n experimental station. The pulse height weighting technique was used to determine the system’s detection efficiency. The response to gamma rays of the C6D6 detector was measured, and the energy resolution function was determined. Monte Carlo simulation with Geant4 code was carried out to get the weighting function of this C6D6 detector system. Additionally, the systematic uncertainty of the weighting function was also determined.
According to the experimental and simulation results, this C6D6 detector system can be used to measure neutron capture cross section.
KeywordsC6D6 detector PHWT Neutron capture cross section White neutron source
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 11790321 and 11805282) and the National Key R&D Program of China (Grant No. 2016YFA0401601).
- 13.J. Ren, R. Xichao, H. Tang et al., Simulation of the background of experimental end-stations and the collimator system of the CSNS back-streaming white neutron source. Nucl. Tech. 37(10), 210–215 (2014). https://doi.org/10.11889/j.0253-3219.2014.hjs.37.100521 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.EJ-315 deuterated liquid scintillator data sheet, www.eljentechnology.com. Accessed 5 Nov 2017
- 15.B series data sheet, www.electrontubes.com. Accessed 5 Nov 2017
- 18.Geant4 Collaboration, GEANT4 User’s Guide for Application Developers (version:10.2), http://geant4.cern.ch. Accessed 4 Dec 2015
- 19.C.D. Pardo, New radiative neutron capture measurement of 207Pb and 209Bi. Ph.D. thesis, CSIC-University of Valencia, 2005Google Scholar
- 25.F. James, MINUIT turorial, (1972), http://seal.web.cern.ch. Accessed 14 Mar 2017
- 27.Geant4 Collaboration, GEANT4 Physics Reference Manual (version: 10.2), http://geant4.cern.ch. Accessed 4 Dec 2015