Adaptive stray-light compensation in dynamic multi-projection mapping
- 241 Downloads
Projection-based mixed reality is an effective tool to create immersive visualizations on real-world objects. Its wide range of applications includes art installations, education, stage shows, and advertising. In this work, we enhance a multi-projector system for dynamic projection mapping by handling various physical stray-light effects: interreflection, projector black-level, and environmental light in real time for dynamic scenes. We show how all these effects can be efficiently simulated and accounted for at runtime, resulting in significantly improved projection mapping results. By adding a global optimization step, we can further increase the dynamic range of the projection.
Keywordsmixed reality projection mapping multiprojector real time interreflection environmental light
- Siegl, C.; Colaianni, M.; Thies, L.; Thies, J.; Zollhöfer, M.; Izadi, S.; Stamminger, M.; Bauer, F. Realtime pixel luminance optimization for dynamic multiprojection mapping. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 34, No. 6, Article No. 237, 2015.Google Scholar
- Goral, C. M.; Torrance, K. E.; Greenberg, D. P.; Battaile, B. Modeling the interaction of light between diffuse surfaces. In: Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 213–222, 1984.Google Scholar
- Sloan, P.-P.; Kautz, J.; Snyder, J. Precomputed radiance transfer for real-time rendering in dynamic, low-frequency lighting environments. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, 527–536, 2002.Google Scholar
- Bimber, O.; Grundhöfer, A.; Wetzstein, G.; Knodel, S. Consistent illumination within optical see-through augmented environments. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE and ACM International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, 198–207, 2003.Google Scholar
- Bermano, A.; Brüschweiler, P.; Grundhöfer, A.; Iwai, D.; Bickel, B.; Gross, M. Augmenting physical avatars using projector-based illumination. ACM Transactions on Graphics Vol. 32, No. 6, Article No. 189, 2013.Google Scholar
- Debevec, P. Rendering synthetic objects into real scenes: Bridging traditional and image-based graphics with global illumination and high dynamic range photography. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH 2008 Classes, Article No. 32, 2008.Google Scholar
- Grundhöfer, A. Practical non-linear photometric projector compensation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops, 924–929, 2013.Google Scholar
- Lange, V.; Siegl, C.; Colaianni, M.; Kurth, P., Stamminger, M.; Bauer, F. Interactive painting and lighting in dynamic multi-projection mapping. In: Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Computer Graphics. De Paolis, L.; Mongelli, A. Eds. Springer Cham, 113–125, 2016.Google Scholar
Open Access The articles published in this journal are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.
Other papers from this open access journal are available free of charge from http://www.springer.com/journal/41095. To submit a manuscript, please go to https://www. editorialmanager.com/cvmj.