The Rise of China in Central Asia: The New Silk Road Diplomacy
China’s relationship with Central Asia has grown manifold since the foundation of Shanghai Five in 1996, which in June 2001 became the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. The impetus to the relationship has further been accentuated when China–Russia friendship treaty was signed in July 2001. The US-led war in Afghanistan against Taliban and Al-Qaeda has yet again cemented Chinese position in Central Asia, and the recently concluded Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) has undeniably dramatically underscored the strategic value of Central Asia to the west and has opened up possibilities for Chinese security, political and economic interests. Geostrategically enmeshed with Central Asia, China will remain an integral and increasingly influential player in Central Asia. This research paper contextualises China’s emergence and interests in Central Asia discarding the much talked about great game thesis and asserts by analysing the rise of China in the region as an unmatched and unchallenged power which has been testified once again with the recent BRI of Beijing.
KeywordsChina Central Asia BRI New Silk Road Geopolitics
- Akiner, Shirin. 1994. Post-Soviet Central Asia: Past is Prologue. In The New Central Asia and Its Neighbours, ed. Peter Ferdinand, 10. London: The Royal Institute of International Affairs.Google Scholar
- Amighini, Alessia. 2017. China’s Belt and Road: A Game Changer?. Milano: The Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI).Google Scholar
- Atal, Subodh. 2003. Central Asian Geopolitics and the U.S. Policy in the Region: The Post-11 September Era. Mediterranean Quarterly 14(2). Spring. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/42955.
- Baker, Rodger. 2016. The New Round in the Great Game Begins. Startfor. Worldview. September 7. https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/new-round-great-game-begins.
- Bovingdon, Gardner. 2010. The Uyghurs: Strangers in Their Own Land. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Cooley, Alexander. 2012. The New Great Game in Central Asia: Geopolitics in a Post-Western World. Foreign Affairs, August. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/central-asia/2012-08-07/new-great-game-central-asia.
- Dekmejian, R. Hrair, and H. Hovann Simonain. 2001. Troubled Waters—The Geopolitics of the Caspian Region. London: I. B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Dutta, Sujit. 2003. China’s Emerging Ties with Central Asia. In Central Asia: The Great Game Replayed, ed. Nirmala Joshi, 3. New Delhi: New Century Books.Google Scholar
- Frankopan, P. 2015. The Silk Roads: A New History of the World. London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Germann, Christoph. 2013. The New Great Game Round Up: China’s Central Asia Problem. Newsbud, May 30. https://www.newsbud.com/2013/05/30/the-new-great-game-round-up-chinas-central-asia-problem/.
- Hart, Michael. 2016. Central Asia’s Oil and Gas Now Flows to the East. The Diplomat, August 18. http://thediplomat.com/2016/08/central-asias-oil-and-gas-now-flows-to-the-east/.
- Hopkirk, Peter. 1990. The Great Game: On Secret Service in High Asia, 124. London: John Murray Publishers Ltd.Google Scholar
- ICG. 2013. China’s Central Asia Problem. International Crisis Group. Asia Report N 44, February 27.Google Scholar
- Joshi, Nirmala. 2003. Introduction. In Central Asia: The Great Game Replayed, An Indian Perspective, ed. Nirmala Joshi, 1. Delhi: New Century Publication.Google Scholar
- Kaushik, Devendra. 1970. Central Asia in Modern Times, 13. Moscow: Progress Publishers.Google Scholar
- Kavalski, Emilian. 2012. Central Asia and the Rise of normative Powers: Contextualising the Security Governance of the European Union, China and India. London: Bloomsbury Publishing.Google Scholar
- Khojaev, Ablat. 2007. China’s Central Asia Policy. Central Asia and the Caucasus Journal, Sweden. http://www.ca-c.org/journal/2007-03-eng/03.shtml.
- Kim, Younkyoo, Fabio Indeo. 2013. The New Great Game in Central Asia Post 2014: The U.S. “New Silk Road” Strategy and Sino-Russian Rivalry. Communist and Post-Communist Studies 46(2), June. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0967067X13000147.
- Kramer, Andrew E. 2009. Putin’s Grasp of Energy Drives Russian Agenda. New York Times Online Edition, January 28. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/29/world/europe/29putin.html?
- Kurlantzick, Joshua. 2017. China’s Soft Power Offensive. Real Clear Defense, May 17. http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/05/17/chinas_soft_power_offensive_111400.html.
- Kynge, James. 2016. China’s Silk Road in Central Asia: transformative or exploitative? Financial Times, April 27. https://www.ft.com/content/55ca031d-3fe3-3555-a878-3bcfa9fd6a98.
- Mackinder, Halford. 1904. The Geographical Pivot of History. The Geographical Journal 23(4), April. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1775498?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents.
- Magiri, Palo. 2017. Introduction. In China’s Belt and Road: A Game Changer?, ed. Alessia Amighini. The Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI): Milano.Google Scholar
- MFA. 2013. President Xi Jinping Delivers Important Speech and Proposes to Build a Silk Road Economic Belt with Central Asian Countries. Beijing: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, The Republic of China, September 23. http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/topics_665678/xjpfwzysiesgjtfhshzzfh_665686/t1076334.shtml.
- Muller Kraenner, Sascha. 2008. China’s and India’s Emerging Energy Foreign Policy. Bonn: German Development Institute.Google Scholar
- Muzalevsky, Roman. 2016. China’s Long March into Central Asia. Startfor. WorldView, April 27. https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/chinas-long-march-central-asia.
- Pantucci, Raffaello. 2016. China’s Place in Central Asia. Eurasianet Weekly Digest, June 20. http://www.eurasianet.org/node/79306.
- Pantucci, Raffaello. 2017. China: Understanding Beijing’s Belt and Road Initiative. RUSI, May 14.Google Scholar
- Pantucci, Raffaello and Sarah Lain. 2016. China and Russia in Central Asia: Cooperation and Conflict. Central Asia Programme, May 2. http://chinaincentralasia.com/2016/05/02/china_and_russia_in_central_asia/.
- Patnaik, Ajay. 2016. Central Asia: Geopolitics, Security and Stability. New Delhi: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Pradhan, Ramakrushna. 2010. Geopolitics of Central Asia: China-US Engagement. Saarbrücken: VDM Verlag-Muller.Google Scholar
- Rashid, Ahmed. 2002. Taliban—Islam, Oil and the New Great Game in Central Asia. London: I. B. Tauris.Google Scholar
- Rumer, Eugene, Richard Sokolsky, et al. 2016. U.S. Policy towards Central Asia. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, January 25. http://carnegieendowment.org/2016/01/25/u.s.-policy-toward-central-asia-3.0-pub-62556.
- Sajjanhar, Ashok. 2016. India-Central Asia Relations: Expanding Vistas of Partnership. New Delhi: Observers Research Foundation.Google Scholar
- Smith, Jeff and Ilan Berman. 2011. Central Asia’s Energy Bazaar. The Wall Street Journal, January 27. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703398504576101063649062424.
- South China Morning Post. 2017. Belt and Road: 2107 Summit. China: South China Morning Post. http://www.scmp.com/topics/belt-and-road-2017-summit.
- Startfor. 2016. China Strives to Secure Central Asia. Austin: Stratfor.Google Scholar
- Swanstrom, Niklas. 2015. The Security Dimension of the China-Central Asia Relationship: China’s Military Engagement with Central Asian Countries. Institute for Security and Development Policy, March 18. www.isdp.eu.
- Van Dijk, M.P. 2012. An increasing role for smaller Chinese cities in Western provinces because of the crisis. Journal of town & city management, 2(4): 321–322. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/1765/38345.
- Van Dijk, Meine Peter, and Patrick Martens. 2016. The Silk Road and Chinese Interests in Central Asia and the Caucasus: The Case of Georgia, Maastricht School of Management. Working Paper No. 2016/12, August.Google Scholar
- Wilson, William. 2016. China’s Huge One Belt One Road Initiative is sweeping Central Asia. Commentary Asia, The Heritage, November 21. http://www.heritage.org/asia/commentary/chinas-huge-one-belt-one-road-initiative-sweeping-central-asia.
- Winter, T. 2015. Heritage Diplomacy Along the One Belt One Road. The Newsletter. No. 74, summer. Leiden: IIAS.Google Scholar
- Wu, Jianmin. 2015. One Belt and One Road, Far-Reaching Initiative. China-US focus. http://tinyurl.com/chinaUSbeltroad.
- Yuang, Bernard. 2017. One Belt, One Road: A Golden Opportunity for ASEAN. May 17, Think Business. National University of Singapore. http://thinkbusiness.nus.edu/article/one-belt-one-road-a-golden-opportunity-for-asean/?utm_source=ExecutiveInsights&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ExecutiveInsights2017_Issue0024.
- Zhi, Wang. 2016. China’s New Silk Road Strategy and Foreign Policy Towards Central Asia. Southeast Review of Asian Studies 38: 69–77.Google Scholar