Deregulation of the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-1 axis in adults with cystic fibrosis
- 98 Downloads
Patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) present with signs and symptoms that overlap with those of adult growth hormone deficiency (GHD) syndrome: loss of muscle mass, bone fragility and lower stress tolerance. In literature, the prevalence of GHD in pediatric CF patients is higher than general population, but these studies have been performed on children with growth delay. To our knowledge, there are no studies on adult patients. The aim of this paper is to evaluate GH–IGF1 axis in an adult CF population.
Fifty clinically stable adult patients, 30 males; age 36 ± 2 years; BMI 21.39 ± 0.22 kg/m2 and FEV1 67 ± 4% were studied. Data regarding glycometabolic status and results of pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, gonadal and adrenal function tests were recorded. All patients underwent a GH releasing hormone (GHRH) + Arginine stimulation test to confirm a GHD.
GHRH + Arginine test revealed the presence of GHD in 16 patients (32%); specifically 7 patients had a severe deficiency and 9 a partial deficiency.
Adult patients with CF may show GHD. These patients should be followed over time to assess if the GHD could impact the clinical progression of CF.
KeywordsGrowth hormone deficiency Insulin-like growth factor-1 Cystic fibrosis Adult patients
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest in this work.
The present study was approved by the ethics committee of the University and adhered to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki.
Additionally, the written informed consents were signed by all participants.
- 2.Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (2015) Patient Registry Annual Data ReportGoogle Scholar
- 8.Maison P, Griffin S, Nicoue-Beglah M, Haddad N, Balkau B, Chanson P, Meta-analysis of Blinded, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trials (2004) Impact of growth hormone (GH) treatment on cardiovascular risk factors in GH-deficient adults: a Meta-analysis of Blinded, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89(5):2192–2199CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Thaker V, Haagensen AL, Carter B, Fedorowicz Z, Houston BW (2013) Recombinant growth hormone therapy for cystic fibrosis in children and young adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (6):1–117Google Scholar
- 24.Corneli G, Di Somma C, Baldelli R, Rovere S, Gasco V, Croce CG, Grottoli S, Maccario M, Colao A, Lombardi G, Ghigo E, Camanni F, Aimaretti G (2005) The cut-off limits of the GH response to GH-releasing hormone—arginine test related to body mass index. Eur J Endocrinol 153(2):257–264CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Yuen KC, Tritos NA, Samson SL, Hoffman AR, Katznelson L (2016) American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology Disease State Clinical review: update on growth hormone stimulation testing and proposed revised cut-point for the Glucagon stimulation test in the diagnosis of adult growth hormone deficiency. Endocr Pract 22(10):1235–1244 (Epub 2016 jul 13) CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar