Reproductive Psychiatry Fellowship Training: Identification and Characterization of Current Programs
- 174 Downloads
While effects of female reproductive transitions on mental health have long been observed, the past three decades have seen a dramatic increase in focused research and clinical programming related to reproductive mental health. Stemming from a 1985 US Public Health Service task force report that described a dearth of knowledge regarding women’s health more broadly, US federal research policies have since encouraged or mandated the inclusion of women in clinical research . As a result, knowledge regarding the identification, diagnosis, and treatment of women experiencing mental illness during the premenstrual, perinatal, and perimenopausal periods has increased substantially.
Reproductive psychiatry, a specialized field of medicine that seeks to understand and treat mental health disorders related to female reproductive stages, has emerged in parallel with this expanded knowledge. The past three decades have seen a growth of professional societies such as the Marcé International...
The authors would like to acknowledge the members of the National Task Force on Women’s Reproductive Mental Health for their help in the conceptualization of this project: Vivien Burt, Kara Driscoll, Elizabeth Fitelson, Alison Hermann, Samantha Meltzer-Brody, and Erin Murphy Barzilay.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
This study was granted exemption by the Institutional Review Board of Case Western Reserve University.
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Including Women and Minorities in Clinical Research. National Institutes of Health Office of Research on Women’s Health. http://orwh.od.nih.gov/clinical/women-and-minorities. Accessed 14 Oct 2016.
- 2.Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine 60th Annual Meeting Program. Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine. http://www.apm.org/ann-mtg/2013/apm-2013-final-pgm.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2016.
- 3.Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine 61th Annual Meeting Program. Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine. http://www.eventscribe.com/2014/APM/assets/APM%202014%20Final%20Prog.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2016.
- 4.Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine 62th Annual Meeting Program. Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine. http://www.eventscribe.com/2015/APM/assets/APM2014FinalProg(Revised%2010-29).pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2016.
- 5.Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine 2016 Annual Meeting Program. Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine. http://www.eventscribe.com/2016/APM/assets/APM-2016finalprogram.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2016.
- 9.Osborne LM, MacLean JV, Barzilay EM, et al. Reproductive psychiatry residency training: a survey of psychiatric residency training directors. Acad Psychiatry. 2017. doi: 10.1007/s40596-017-0672-x.
- 10.ACGME Program Requirements for Graduate Medical Education in Psychosomatic Medicine. Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. http://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/409_psychosomatic_med_2016_1-YR.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2016.