Utilization of Ground Heat Exchangers: a Review
- 39 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Ground heat exchanger takes the soil underground as heat source or sink to supply cooling or heating to buildings. It has been widely used in building heating and cooling systems due to high efficiency and environmental friendliness. This paper reviews the latest research on the ground heat exchanger in buildings.
Reaserches have shown that the types and usage styles of ground heat exchangers are various and the systematic summary of its features is necessary.
Ground heat exchangers were classified into water- or air-based ground heat exchanger according to the heat transfer medium. Associated studies in each category were introduced. The ground heat exchangers can be used in a passive or active way and related studies/projects are reviewed. To make better use of ground heat exchangers, various technologies may be integrated with ground heat exchangers including solar thermal collectors, cooling towers, nocturnal radiative cooling technology, and solar chimney. while the system complexity and cost should be taken in consideration.
KeywordsGround heat exchanger Renewable energy Passive utilization Active utilization Ground source heat pump
This work presented in this paper is financially supported by a grant (No. 51678263) of National Science Foundation of China.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance
- 4.• Soni SK, Pandey M, Bartaria VN. Ground coupled heat exchangers: a review and applications. Renew Sustain Energy Rev. 2015;47:83–92. The advantages and applicability of the ground heat exchanger in building heating and cooling systems are generally shown. Its classifications are briefly introduced.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Y Cui, J Zhu, 3D transient heat transfer numerical analysis of multiple energy piles, Energy and Buildings, Available online 25 2016, ISSN 0378-7788, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.10.032, 3D transient heat transfer numerical analysis of multiple energy piles.
- 20.• Eicker U, Vorschulze C. Potential of geothermal heat exchangers for office building climatisation. Renew Energy. 2009;34(4):1126–33. The advantages and potential of the gorund heat exchangers in building heating and cooling systems.Google Scholar
- 38.• Li A, Xu X, Sun Y. A study on pipe-embedded wall integrated with ground source-coupled heat exchanger for enhanced building energy efficiency in diverse climate regions. Energy and Build. 2016;121:139–51. Typical cases for passive utilization of ground heat exchangers in different systems and forms. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 48.• Luo J, Rohn J, Bayer M, Priess A, Wilkmann L, Xiang W. Heating and cooling performance analysis of a ground source heat pump system in Southern Germany. Geothermics. 2015;53:57–66. Typical case of active utilization of ground heat exchanger. Itspreformance for heating and cooling is analyzed.Google Scholar