Recent Advancements in Torrefaction of Solid Biomass
- 28 Downloads
Purpose of Review
The study focuses on the recent advancements on the torrefaction of solid biomass feedstock. A literature review has been conducted and the most important findings of selected studies which have been published the last 5 years are presented.
According to the published research, solid biomass torrefaction gains significant interest with more than 500 studies since 2002. Based on the existing literature, a focus on the torrefaction woody biomass is observed. However, investigation of torrefaction of herbaceous and other types of biomass such as aquatic is increasing. The integration of pelletization with torrefaction is also widely investigated. Finally, significant effort is given for the development, scaling up, and introduction to market of various torrefaction technologies.
Future research should address the improvement and commercialization of existing torrefaction technologies. Integrated torrefaction and pelletization shall be further investigated especially using non-woody biomass feedstock.
KeywordsSolid biomass Torrefaction Biofuels
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Elias A. Christoforou declares no conflicts of interest.
Paris A. Fokaides is a section editor for Current Sustainable/Renewable Energy Reports.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 7.Bergman PCA. Combined torrefaction and pelletisation—the TOP process. Report ECN-C-05-073, ECN: The Netherlands; 2005. http://www.ecn.nl/docs/library/report/2005/c05073.pdf. Accessed 10 Mar 2018.
- 8.Thrän D, Witt J, Schaubach K, Kiel J, Carbo M, Maier J, et al. Moving torrefaction towards market introduction—technical improvements and economic-environmental assessment along the overall torrefaction supply chain through the SECTOR project. Biomass Bioenergy. 2016;89:184–200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2016.03.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Joshi Y, de Vries H, Woudstra T, de Jong W. Torrefaction: unit operation modelling and process simulation. Appl Therm Eng. 2015;74:83–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.12.059.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.• Chen WH, Peng J, Bi XT. A state-of-the-art review of biomass torrefaction, densification and applications. Renew SustainEnergy Rev. 2015;44:847–66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.12.039. The study focuses on the pelletisation of torrefied biomass and reviews available technical solutions. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Wróbel M, Hamerska J, Jewiarz M, Mudryk K, Marzena Niemczyk M. Influence of parameters of the torrefaction process on the selected parameters of torrefied woody biomass. In: Mudryk K, Werle S, editors. Renewable energy sources: engineering, technology, innovation. Springer: Springer Proceedings in Energy; 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-72371-6_68.Google Scholar
- 21.• Rodrigues A, Loureiro L, Nunes LJR. Torrefaction of woody biomasses from poplar SRC and Portuguese roundwood: properties of torrefied products. Biomass Bioenergy. 2018;107:55–65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2017.11.005. A comprehensive study for woody biomass torrefaction where 17 different types of woody biomass were processed. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Juan F, Pérez JF, Pelaez-Samaniego MR, Garcia-Perez M. Torrefaction of fast-growing Colombian wood species. Waste Biomass Valorisation. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-017-0164-y.
- 32.• Li S-X, Chen C-Z, Li M-F, Xiao X. Torrefaction of corncob to produce charcoal under nitrogen and carbon dioxide atmospheres. Bioresource Technol. 2018;249:348–53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.10.026. Carbon dioxide is used as the medium during torrefaction process. CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 50.•• Cremers M, Koppejan J, Middelkamp J, Witkamp J, Sokhansanj S, Melin S, et al. Status overview of torrefaction technologies—a review of the commercialisation status of biomass torrefaction. IEA Bioenergy; 2015. http://www.ieabcc.nl/publications/IEA_Bioenergy_T32_Torrefaction_update_2015b.pdf. Accessed 13 Mar 2018. A comprehensive study which provides significant information regarding the current status of torrefaction technologies.