Synthesis of high-purity Ti2SC powder by microwave hybrid heating
- 285 Downloads
A novel simple method is presented to synthesize high-purity Ti2SC powder using Ti/C/S and Ti/C/TiS2 systems by microwave hybrid heating at different temperatures in argon atmosphere. It was confirmed that the synthesis temperature is strongly dependent on the starting composition. For Ti/C/S system, Ti2SC with small amounts of TiS and TiC was synthesized at 1200 °C. For Ti/C/TiS2 system, high-purity Ti2SC was synthesized at 800 °C and above. The synthesis of Ti2SC powder at low temperature was attributed to the combination of microwave effect by microwave hybrid heating and the introduction of TiS2 as sulfur source. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) analysis indicated that the layered structure of Ti2SC particles is perfectly formed at 1100 °C, and the crystal particle size approaches to homogeneity which is about 2–5 μm. It was presumed that the formation mechanism of Ti/C/TiS2 system is that TiS2 firstly reacts with Ti to form Ti–S intermetallics, then Ti–S intermetallics reacts with un-reacted Ti and graphite to produce Ti2SC.
KeywordsTi2SC microwave hybrid heating formation mechanism
This work was supported by Natural Science Fundamental Research of Education Department of Henan Province (Nos. 14A430032 and 15A430021) and Plan of Natural Science Fundamental Research in Henan University of Technology (No. 2013JCYJ06).
- Barsoum MW, El-Raghy T. A progress report on Ti3SiC2, Ti3GeC2, and the H-phases, M2BX. J Mater Synth Proces 1997, 5: 197–216.Google Scholar
- Amini S, Barsoum MW, El-Raghy T. Synthesis and mechanical properties of fully dense Ti2SC. J Am Ceram Soc 2007, 90: 3953–3958.Google Scholar
- Wan FF. Study on preparation and properties of ternary layered carbide Ti2SC. M.S. Thesis. Wuhan, China: Wuhan University of Technology, 2010.Google Scholar
- Liang B, Wang L, Wang Z, et al. Synthesis of Ti2SC material by self-propagation high temperature synthesis. Materials Science and Engineering of Powder Metallurgy 2013, 18: 675–679. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Liang B, Wang Y, Zhang W, et al. Synthesis of ternary titanium aluminum carbides using microwave synthesis technique. Journal of Ceramics 2015, 36: 476–480. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Barin I. Thermochemical Data of Pure Substances. Cheng NL, Niu ST, Xu GY, Translation. Beijing: Science Press, 2003. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
Open Access The articles published in this journal are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.