Development of Bi gene-based SNP markers for genotyping for bitter-free cucumber lines
- 129 Downloads
High contents of cucurbitacin compounds result in a bitter taste in cucumbers. The Bi locus mapped to chromosome 6 is responsible for cucumber bitterness. The Bi gene encodes oxidosqualene cyclase, a key enzyme in the cucurbitacin biosynthetic pathway. Two alleles of the Bi gene responsible for the phenotypic variation in bitterness differ by a single point mutation in the coding region. An efficient genotyping system is necessary to allow breeders to screen for bitterness alleles in their breeding programs. In the present study, the single nucleotide polymorphism located within the Bi gene, which is directly linked to cucumber bitterness, was utilized for gene-based marker development. We developed reliable and cost-effective high-resolution melting (HRM)- and Kompetitive Allele-Specific PCR (KASP)-based molecular markers (BiHRM1 and Bi-KASP). These gene-based markers should enhance the accuracy and effectiveness of marker-assisted selection for bitter-free cucumber lines in cucumber breeding programs.
KeywordsThe Bi locus Bitterness Cucumber HRM KASP Marker-assisted selection
This work was supported by a grant from the Bio-industry Technology Development Program (115079-2) of iPET (Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture and Forestry), and a Grant (710001-07) from the Vegetable Breeding Research Center through the Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Research Center Support Program, Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Chi X, Gu X, Zhang S, Wang X, Wang Y (2007) Identification of molecular markers linked to foliage non-bitterness gene (bi) in Cucumis sativus L. Acta Hortic Sin 34:1177–1182Google Scholar
- Doyle JJ, Doyle JL (1987) Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus 12:13–15Google Scholar
- Gu X, Zhang S, Zhang S (2006) The AFLP markers linked with the bitter fruit gene (Bt) in cucumber. Acta Hortic Sin 33:140–142Google Scholar
- Li M, Gong Y, Miao H, Wu J, Gu X, Zhang S, Wang X (2010) Fine mapping of the foliage bitterness gene (Bi) in Cucumis sativus. Acta Hortic Sin 37:1073–1078Google Scholar
- Zhang S, Miao H, Cheng Z, Zhang Z, Wu J, Sun R, Gu X (2011) The insertion-deletion (Indel) marker linked to the fruit bitterness gene (bt) in cucumber. J Agric Biotechnol 19:649–653Google Scholar