Inhibitor of ghrelin receptor reverses gefitinib resistance in lung cancer
- 64 Downloads
Gefitinib is the first-generation EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor (EGFR-TKI), which is used in the treatment of NCSLC patients through interrupting EGFR signaling pathway. Although gefitinib prolongs patients’ progression-free survival (PFS), acquired resistance occurs in advanced NSCLC patients. In this study, we mainly investigated the effects of antagonist for ghrelin-R (d-lys-3-GHRP-6) on conquering acquired gefitinib resistance in human lung cancer cells. We found that GHSR was overexpressed in our established HCC827/GR cells compared with parental cells, accompanied with increase of p-AKT and p-ERK1/2. Treatment of d-lys-3-GHRP-6 significantly decreased p-AKT and p-ERK1/2 expression in HCC827/GR cells. H1650 cells and HCC827/GR cells were treated with control, gefitinib, d-lys-3-GHRP-6 and d-lys-3-GHRP-6 + gefitinib, respectively. In H1650 and HCC827/GR cells, combination of d-lys-3-GHRP-6 and gefitinib significantly inhibited cell proliferation and Bcl2 protein level, induced the cell apoptosis and cleaved-caspase3 protein level compared with control group, while there was no significant difference between control and gefitinib group.
Keywordsd-Lys-3-GHRP-6 Lung cancer Gefitinib-acquired resistance
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 4.Cheng WQ, Zheng RS, Zhang SW, et al. Analysis of Chinese lung cancer incidence and death from 2003 to 2007. J Pract Oncol. 2012;26:6–10.Google Scholar
- 6.Antonoff MB, D’Cunha J. Non-small cell lung cancer: the era of targeted therapy. Lung Cancer. 2012;3:31–41, 2012.Google Scholar
- 9.Ma C, Wei S, Song Y. T790M and acquired resistance of EGFR TKI: a literature review of clinical reports. J Thorac Dis. 2011;3:10–8.Google Scholar
- 12.Hu Y, Zang J, Cao H, et al. Liver X receptors agonist GW3965 re-sensitizes gefitinib-resistant human non-small cell lung cancer cell to gefitinib treatment by inhibiting NF-κB in vitro. Oncotarget. 2017;8:15802–14.Google Scholar
- 15.Komarowska H, Jaskula M, Stangierski A, et al. Influence of ghrelin on energy balance and endocrine physiology. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2012;33:749–56.Google Scholar