Similar Coefficient of Cluster for Discrete Elements
- 24 Downloads
This article proposes a new concept called Cluster Similar Coefficient (CSC) for discrete elements. CSC is not only used as a criterion to build cluster by hierarchical and non-hierarchical approaches but also to evaluate the quality of established clusters quality. Based on CSC, we also propose four algorithms: to determine the suitable number of clusters, to analyze the non-fuzzy clusters, to analyze the fuzzy clusters and to build clusters with given CSC. The proposed algorithms are performed by Matlab procedures that would allow users to perform efficiently and conveniently in practice. The numerical examples demonstrate suitability and advantages of using CSC as a criterion to build the clusters in comparing with others.
Keywords and phrasesCluster Hierarchical Non-hierarchical Similar coefficient Distance
AMS (2000) subject classificationPrimary 62H30 Secondary 68T10
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ayala-Ramirez, V., Obara-Kepowicz, M., Sanchez-Yanez, R.E. and Jaime-Rivas, R. (2003). Bayesian texture classification method using a random sampling scheme. In IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC), pp. 2065–2069.Google Scholar
- Babuška, R. (2012). Fuzzy modeling for control, vol. 12. Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- Ball, G.H. and Hall, I. (1965). A novel method of data analysis and pattern classification. Isodata, A novel method of data analysis and pattern classification. Tch. Report 5RI, Project 5533.Google Scholar
- Bock, H.H. (1974). Automatic classification. Vandenhoeck and Ruprechat.Google Scholar
- Bora, D.J. and Gupta, A.K. (2014). Impact of exponent parameter value for the partition matrix on the performance of fuzzy c means algorithm. arXiv:1406.4007.
- Brodatz, P. (1966). Textures: a photographic album for artists and designers. Dover Publications, New York.Google Scholar
- Cannon, R.L., Dave, J.V. and Bezdek, J.C. (1986). Efficient implementation of the fuzzy c-means clustering algorithms. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 8, 248–255.Google Scholar
- Celebi, E. and Alpkocak, A. (2000). Clustering of texture features for content-based image retrieval. In Advances in Information Systems, pp. 216–225. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Ester, M., Kriegel, H.P., Sander, J. and Xu, X. (1996). A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise. In Kdd, vol. 96, pp. 226–231.Google Scholar
- Ganti, V., Gehrke, J. and Ramakrishnan, R. (1999). CACTUS–clustering categorical data using summaries. In Proceedings of the Fifth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge discovery and Data Mining, pp. 73–83. ACM.Google Scholar
- Kaufman, L. and Rousseeuw, P. (1987). Clustering by means of medoids. North-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Kohonen, T. (2012). Self-organization and associative memory, vol. 8. Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- MacQueen, J. (1967). Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate observations. In Proceedings of the Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and probability, vol. 1, pp. 281–297. Oakland.Google Scholar
- Popat, K. and Picard, R.W. (1997). Cluster-based probability model and its application to image and texture processing. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.551697.
- Rand, W.M. (1971). Objective criteria for the evaluation of clustering methods. J. Am. Stat. Assoc., 66. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1971.10482356.
- Sheikholeslami, G., Chatterjee, S. and Zhang, A. (1998). Wavecluster: a multi-resolution clustering approach for very large spatial databases. VLDB 98, 428–439.Google Scholar
- Sneath, P.H.A. and Sokal, R.R. (1973). Numerical taxonomy. The principles and practice of numerical classification.Google Scholar
- Wong, A.K.C. and Wang, D.C.C. (1979). DECA: A discrete-valued data clustering algorithm. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 1, 342–349.Google Scholar
- Xie, X.L. and Beni, G. (1991). A validity measure for fuzzy clustering. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 13, 841–847.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., Wang, J.Z. and Li, J. (2015). Parallel massive clustering of discrete distributions. ACM Trans. Multimed. Comput. Commun. Appl. (TOMM) 11, 49.Google Scholar