Dynamical analysis and consistent numerics for a delay model of viral infection in phytoplankton population
- 26 Downloads
In this article, the effects of time delay and carrying capacity in the dynamics of viral phytoplankton and consistence numerics are studied. Basic properties and stabilities of equilibria are rigorously analyzed and conditions for stability switches are found. A dynamically consistent nonstandard finite difference scheme for the continuous delay model is designed to verify the results and reveal some interesting features of the model. Some ecological implications and interpretations are provided.
KeywordsPhytoplankton Delay Stability switches Nonstandard finite difference scheme
Mathematics Subject Classification37N25
The author acknowledges the financial supports of South African DST/NRF SARChI chair on Mathematical Models and Methods in Bioengineering and Biosciences \((M^3B^2)\), Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, University of Pretoria and MacArthur Foundation, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria. The support of the DST-NRF Centre of Excellence in Mathematical and Statistical Sciences (CoE-MaSS) towards this research is hereby acknowledged. Opinions expressed and conclusions arrived at, are those of the author and are not necessarily to be attributed to CoE. Furthermore, the author is grateful to the handling Editor, Chief Editor and the Reviewers.
- 3.Anguelov, R., Lubuma, J.M.-S., Shillor, M.: Dynamically consistent nonstandard finite difference schemes for continuous dynamical systems. Discret. Contin. Dyn. Syst. 34–43 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3934/proc.2009.2009.34
- 4.Arenas, V.R., Gonzalez-Parra, G.: A nonstandard dynamically consistent numerical scheme applied to obesity dynamics. J. Appl. Math. 2008, 1–14 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Gronwall, T.H.: Note on the derivatives with respect to a parameter of the solutions of a system of differential equations. Anal. Math. 292–296 (1919)Google Scholar
- 21.Jury, E.I.: Theory and Applications of the z-Transform Method. Robert E. Krieger publishing Co., Huntington (1964)Google Scholar
- 30.Reynolds, J.J.H., Sherratt, J.A., White, A.: Stability switches in a host-pathogen model as the length of a time delay increases. J. Nonlinear Sci. (2013)Google Scholar
- 33.Kimmance, S.A., Brussard, P.D.: Estimation of viral-induced phytoplankton mortality using the modified dilution method. Manual Aquat. Viral Ecol. 65–73 (2010)Google Scholar