A Three-phase Nine-level Fault Tolerant Asymmetrical Inverter
- 74 Downloads
The reliability in inverters has gained a vast importance for their enhanced economic operation of the system. This paper proposes a three-phase reliable nine-level inverter with fault ride through capability. The proposed inverter synthesizes nine levels in the output with two asymmetrical voltage sources configured at a ratio of 1:3 under healthy operation. The inverter is analyzed for open circuit faults in switches. A reliability analysis is carried out for proposed inverter and compared with classical Cascaded-H Bridge. Combined control logic is implemented to control the inverter in accordance with the operating conditions. The circuit is operated with sinusoidal pulse width modulation under healthy condition, and it is made to operate with switching frequency optimal-based pulse width modulation (SFO-PWM) under fault cases, as it enhances fundamental DC value. The proposed inverter is simulated in MATLAB/SIMULINK, and the results are validated by an experimental setup.
KeywordsFault tolerant Multilevel inverter Reliability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13.Wei, S.; Wu, B.; Li, F.; Sun, X.: Control method for cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter with faulty power cells. In: Eighteenth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, APEC, Miami Beach, FL, USA, pp. 261–267 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Choi, U.M.; Lee, J.S.; Blaabjerg, F.; Lee, K.B.: Open-circuit fault diagnosis and fault-tolerant control for a grid-connected NPC inverter. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 31(10), 7234–7247 (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Kim. S.M.; Lee. J.S.; Lee. K.B.: Fault-tolerant strategy using neutral-shift method for cascaded multilevel inverters based on level-shifted PWM. In: 9th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE-ECCE Asia), pp. 1327–1332 (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.Cordeiro. A.; Silva. J.F.; Pinto. S.F.; Santana. J.E.: Fault-tolerant design for a three-level neutral-point-clamped multilevel inverter topology. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer as a Tool (EUROCON), Lisbon, pp. 1–4 (2011)Google Scholar
- 25.Chellammal. N.; Abirami. R.; Mohana, T.; Dash, S.S.: Switching frequency optimal PWM based three phase hybrid multilevel inverter. In: International Conference on Design and Manufacturing (IConDM2013), Chennai, India, pp. 302–311 (2013)Google Scholar
- 27.Alavi, O.; Viki, A.H.; Shamlou, S.: A comparative reliability study of three fundamental multilevel inverters using two different approaches. J Electron MDPI 5, 18 (2016)Google Scholar
- 28.General specifications of Semiconductor Devices. MIL-S-19500 (1994)Google Scholar