Guard against trust management vulnerabilities in Wireless Sensor Network
- 15 Downloads
Trust management system in Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) is rudimentary to identify malicious, selfish and compromised nodes. Many proposed trust management systems provide security to WSN from various internal attacks. However, like other security systems, trust management schemes are also vulnerable to attacks. In this paper, we have proposed a lightweight trust management scheme based on penalty and reward policy. We have investigated three different types of attacks against the trust management scheme and provide a defense mechanism for those attacks. The proposed mechanism is based on dynamic time sliding window for calculating the trust value of the nodes and finding out the behavior of the nodes. Theory and simulation show that the proposed GATE method has a high detection rate of the malicious nodes and it demands fewer resources than some of the recently proposed trust management schemes.
KeywordsTrust management Vulnerabilities Attacks Trust regain Dynamic sliding window
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Lu, Y.; Lin, K.; Li, K.: Trust evaluation model against insider attack in wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE Second International Conference on Cloud and Green Computing (CGC), pp. 319–326 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Yan, S.; Zhu, H.; Ray, L.K.J.: Defense of trust management vulnerabilities in distributed networks. IEEE Commun. Mag. 46(4), 112–119 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Momani, M.; Challa, S.; Aboura, K.: Modeling trust in wireless sensor networks from the sensor reliability perspective. In: Innovative Algorithms and Techniques in Automation, Industrial Electronics and Telecommunications, pp. 317–321. Springer, Netherlands (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Qu, C.; Ju, L.; Jia, Z.; Xu, H.; Zheng, L.: Light-weight trust based on-demand multi path routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. In: 12th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (IEEE TrustCom-13), pp. 42–49 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Sahoo, R.R.; Singh, M.; Sardar, A.R.; Mohapatra, S.; Sarkar, S.K.: TREE-CR: Trust based secure and energy efficient clustering in WSN. In: Emerging Trends in Computing, Communication and Nano Technology (ICE-CCN), IEEE International Conference, Tirunelveli, pp. 532–538 (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Momani, M.; Agbinya, J.; Navarrete, G.P.; Akache, M.: A new algorithm of trust formation in wireless sensor networks. In: First IEEE International Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wide-band Communications; Sydney, Australia (2006)Google Scholar
- 20.Zahariadis, T.; Leligou, H.C.; Trakadas, P.; Voliotis, S.: Trust management in wireless sensor networks. Eur. Trans. Telecommun. 21, 386–395 (2010)Google Scholar
- 24.Crosby, G.V.; Pissinou, N.; Gadze, J.: A framework for trust-based cluster head election in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of Second IEEE Workshop on Dependability and Security in Sensor Networks and Systems (2006)Google Scholar