Study on Vortex-Induced Motions of A New Type of Deep Draft Multi-Columns FDPSO
- 60 Downloads
A numerical simulation and an experimental study on vortex-induced motion (VIM) of a new type of deep draft multi-columns floating drilling production, storage and offloading (FDPSO) are presented in this paper. The main dimension, the special variable cross-section column and the cabin arrangement of the octagonal pontoon are introduced based on the result. The numerical simulation is adapted to study the effects of current incidence angles and reduced velocities on this platform’s sway motion response. The 300 m water depth equivalent truncated mooring system is adopted for the model tests. The model tests are carried out to check the reliability of numerical simulation. The results consist of surge, sway and yaw motions, as well as motion trajectories. The maximum sway amplitudes for different types of offshore platform is also studied. The main results show that the peak frequencies of sway motion under different current incidence angles and reduced velocities vary around the natural frequency. The analysis result of flow field indicates that the change of distribution of vortex in vertical presents significant influences on the VIM of platform. The trend of sway amplitude ratio curve of this new type FDPSO differs from the other types of platform. Under 45° current incidence angle, the sway amplitude of this new type of FDPSO is much smaller than those of other types of offshore platform at 4.4 ≤ Vr ≤ 8.9. The typical ‘8’ shape trajectory does not appear in the platform’s motion trajectories.
KeywordsFDPSO multi-columns vortex-induced motion (VIM) model tests variable cross-section column
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Petroleum Institute, 2010. API Recommended Practice 2TPlanning, Designing, and Constructing Tension Leg Platform, 3rd ed., API.Google Scholar
- Bai, Z.N., Xiao, L.F., Cheng, Z.S. and Lai, Z.M., 2014. Experimental study on vortex induced motion response of a deep draft semi-submersible platform, Journal of Ship Mechanics, 18(4), 377–384. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Fujiwara, T., Nimura, T., Shimozato, K. and Matsui, R., 2016. VIM model test and assessment on a semi-submersible type floater with different column intervals, Proceedings of the 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME, Busan, South Korea, pp. V001T01A055.Google Scholar
- Gonçalves, R.T., Fujarra, A.L.C., Rosetti, G.F., Kogishi, A.M. and Koop, A., 2015. Effects of column designs on the VIM response of deep-draft semi-submersible platforms, Proceeding of the 25th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Kona, Hawaii, USA.Google Scholar
- Gu, J.Y., Wu, J. and Yang, J.M., 2014. Review of the research on vortex-induced motion of a new deepwater multi-column FDPSO, Journal of Jiangsu University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition), 28(5), 415–422. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Kim, J.W., Magee, A. and Guan, K.Y.H., 2011. CFD simulation of flow-induced motions of a multi-column floating platform, Proceedings of the ASME 2011 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 319–326.Google Scholar
- Korbijn, F., Husem, I. and Pettersen, E., 2005. Octabuoy SDM: A compact semi-submersible design for deepwater applications, Proceedings of the ASME 2005 24th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, ASME, Halkidiki, Greece, pp. 1087–1095.Google Scholar
- Magee, A., Sheikh, R., Guan, K.Y.H., Choo, J.T.H., Malik, A.M.A., Ghani, M.P.A. and Abyn, H., 2011. Model tests for VIM of multicolumn floating platforms, Proceedings of the ASME 2011 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 127–136.Google Scholar
- Pontaza, J.P., Baar, J. and Liu, N., 2015. Vortex-induced motions of a model scale column stabilized floater with round columns in calm water and random waves, Proceedings of the ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, ASME, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada, pp. V002T08A017.Google Scholar
- Tan, J.H., Teng, Y., Magee, A.R. and Ly, B.T., 2016. The effect of appurtenances on the VIM performance of a TLP for Southeast Asia, Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference-Asia, Offshore Technology Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- Waals, O., Phadke, A.C. and Bultema, S., 2007. Flow induced motions of multi column floaters, Proceedings of the ASME 2007 26th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, ASME, San Diego, California, USA, pp. 669–678.Google Scholar