New relationship for estimation of wave overtopping on vertical walls
- 36 Downloads
Soft computing tools in the form of combination of multiple nonlinear regression and M5′ model tree were used for estimation of overtopping rate at the vertical coastal structures. For reliable and precise estimation of overtopping rate, the experimental data available in the database CLASH were used. The dimensionless overtopping rate was estimated in terms of conventional dimensionless parameters including the relative crest freeboard R c/H s, seabed slope tanθ, deep water wave steepness S om, surf similarity ξ om and local relative water depth h t/H s. The accuracy of the new model was compared with other existing models and also evaluated with some field measurements. The results indicated that the model presented in this paper is more accurate than other existing models. With statistical parameters, it is shown that the accuracy of predictions in the new model is better than that of other models.
Key wordsCLASH database M5′ model tree wave overtopping vertical coastal structures multiple nonlinear regression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alikhani, A., Burcharth, H.F., Moadelli, N. and Sotoodeh, B., 2003. Design and construction of a caisson quay wall in the south pars port project, Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Building and Housing), 4(2–4), 163–171.Google Scholar
- CEM, 2006. Coastal Engineering Manual, US Army Corps of Engineers.Google Scholar
- EurOtop, 2007. European Manual for the Assessment of Wave Overtopping, Pullen, T., Allsop, N.W.H., Bruce, T., Kortenhaus, A., Schüttrumpf, H. and van der Meer, J. W. (Eds.), HR Wallingford, Wallingford, U.K.Google Scholar
- Franco, L., de Gerloni, M., and van der Meer, J.W., 1994. Wave overtopping on vertical and composite breakwaters, Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Coastal Engineering, Kobe, Japan, Vol. 1, 1030–1045.Google Scholar
- Goda, Y., Kishira, Y. and Kamiyama, Y., 1975. Laboratory investigation on the overtopping rate of seawalls by irregular waves, Report of the Port and Harbour Research Institute, 14(4), 3–44. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Quinlan, J.R., 1986. Induction of decision trees, Machine Learning, 1(1), 81–106.Google Scholar
- Van der Meer, J.W., Verhaeghe, H. and Steendam, G.J., 2005. Database on Wave Overtopping at Coastal Structures, CLASH WP2 database, Infram, Marknesse, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Verhaeghe, H., 2005. Neural Network Prediction of Wave Overtopping at Coastal Structure, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Ghent University.Google Scholar